Ordered Silver 2017 Explorer Platinum for my Wife | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ordered Silver 2017 Explorer Platinum for my Wife

Pete6114

Reaction score
City, State
SW Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 EX Plat
Ordered on Feb. 13th. No VIN yet. Priority 19. Glad we're in no rush and getting rid of her 2015 Lincoln MKX.
Also told the dealer that i wont accept the Vehicle if it's been "randomly selected" for supposedly testing purposes, after the fiasco when i had ordered my 2012 F-150 Platinum. No customer orders should be subject to "testing", as far as I'm concerned. Others may not mind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ordered on Feb. 13th. No VIN yet. Priority 19. Glad we're in no rush and getting rid of her 2015 Lincoln MKX.
Also told the dealer that i wont accept the Vehicle if it's been "randomly selected" for supposedly testing purposes, after the fiasco when i had ordered my 2012 F-150 Platinum. No customer orders should be subject to "testing", at lest for me. Others may not mind.
Welcome to the Forum Pete.:wave:
I don't know if the dealer has any control over "randomly selected" vehicles or not. I was wavering between getting white, silver or the new white gold. The latter won out although I've owned white and silver vehicles.

Peter

It's out of the dealers hands as you say. I did however inform him as to where i stand. This is our 26th Ford or Lincoln and i know the drill. I've also worked at a assembly plant for 39 years. I know how the "randomly selected" system works and the original purpose behind it when it was introduced. All it is now, and has been for quite a few years, is a different new vehicle to drive home by upper management along with free company gas. Well, actually it isn't company gas, but rather the customers gas which is ME in this case. We're all charged for a partial gas fill which isn't replaced after their "test drive". What this "test" consists of is that they drive their chosen vehicle home after work, and drive it back to the plant in the morning. (some have been known to go to the mall with it) They're supposed to fill out couple of sheets with questions and concerns they notice. Sweet perk is all it is.
When my 2012 F150 arrived at the dealer, it was caked with mud and had a ding in the rear bumper. Yes, it had been randomly selected, and i went ballistic!
If it happens again, i'll walk away from it. Dealer E-mailed FOMO and did let them know. Time will tell.

I'm not sure how you end up paying for the gas on these tests since the dealer always fills up the tank when you pick it up. I've never seen any charge for it. I guess it could be a 'hidden' cost that everyone pays regardless of whether their vehicle was a 'tested' one or not.

Peter

Your right again. My dealer fills the tank as well. So, essentially it's him that has to make up for the used up gas, but it's me that is charged for the partial fill at the plant.
My main beef is that i don't want anyone driving my 60,000 vehicle home and put mileage on it. They often don't exactly drive them like they would drive their own.
I'm not in favor of this "testing" in general, but if they "must" do it, then it should be on dealer stock vehicles and not on customer ordered units. Although ford claims even customer orders aren't actually owed by those customers just yet, it's just B.S. My name shows up on the vehicle order confirmation and will also show on the window-sticker once it's serialized.

I agree on the testing part. I'd also rather it not be done on mine but then again, I lease my vehicles. The total MSRP on my Window Sticker was $62,039 and that was without the 2nd row console which I would have ordered if I had the chance. Due to time constraints it was picked from another dealer's lot but in the colour I wanted.
I don't know about your name being on the Window Sticker. The only factory ordered vehicle of the last 3 was the 2011 Limited and in the "Sold to" area it has the dealership's name. I don't recall seeing any individual's name on any that were identified in this Forum either.

Peter

My name has been on every window sticker on past factory order's. Always below where the options are listed and always the very last entry (left side)
It's not showing in the "Sold to" box!
I'll show you......i blacked out my last name, but the "P" for Peter still shows.

20170223_142327_zpsrjdp0uqo.jpg

Nope, nothing on mine in that area or any where else. No line item TAGXXXXXX either.

No VIN yet. Not surprising since it's only been 12 days. Guessing March 9th or 16th.

Your comments about the random testing are very interesting.

I have a different perspective on it because I ask for it to be specifically done.

My contacts at the Chicago Assembly Plant include people in QC, I specifically asked for mine to be pulled off and given the extra QC. BTW they do this for all Ford Executive vehicles going out of the Plant.

Having been to Chicago Assembly Plant several times I got the chance to watch a QC Inspection from start to finish.

I found it very informative.

The vehicle is brought into a room that's so bright it's like being on the face of the sun, a QC rep then walks around and measures all the gaps in the panels, measures the alignment of all doors, liftgate, hood, glass, and plastic trim and interior

Then they look for paint issues in the door jams and other hidden areas not visible on the outside.

The paint is inspected for imperfections.

The vehicle is taken back outside over to a room where it's put on a hoist and lifted up. Undercarriage gets inspected by another person and then its shaken for a period of time.

This is Noise, Vibration, Rattle testing.

Then it goes to the water test tank for additional leak detection and water seal testing.

After that, it gets returned to one of the QC people who take it out for a drive for more NVR testing.

As an aside, if you order factory DVD it gets installed by TDM (Chicago Mod Center) where all the Interceptors go for upfitting. That means a car porter drives it there which is about 3/4 of a mile away.

The next day it's brought back to the room with all the lights and reexamined for any visual defects.

Once approved its shipped to the dealership.

I specifically asked for this to be done on all 4 of my Explorers and wouldn't get another one without it.

The sticker on the window when it arrived at the dealership clearly explained the extra QC and said it had been driven 21KM or 13Miles.

Dealership fills the tank for delivery so fuel is not an issue.

I'm not questioning Q.C., or any other employee. I'm also not questioning or criticizing the Q.C. procedures in place and i understand the possibility of a few necessary accumulated miles on the clock when it arrives at the dealer lot.

What i do NOT want, is for anybody to drive my new vehicle home, oftentimes a little joy riding and hitting the local mall. Besides that, if Chicago Assy is anything like the Ford Plant i worked in, (and i have no reason to believe it's not) the upper echelon driving those vehicles do not baby them and some drive them in ways i wouldn't, and do don't. There is a break-in period for new brakes/rotors and from what i seen, they couldn’t care less. Even though today’s engines don’t require break-in, i do drive my new vehicles as if they did

. Bought a new Mustang GT (our summer car) 2 years ago and my dealer did a dealer trade little ways from here near Ottawa, Ontario. No way would i let them go get it and put the cruise control on for the 7 hr drive. No way. I went up and got it myself, so i can fluctuate speeds and be easy on the brakes for the first few hundred km.

As said before, to them it's nothing other than a free vehicle and free gas. Nothing more.

While i still worked at the plant, I’ve seen them walk up to their vehicle of the day, look at it real quick and go pick another because they spotted a rip in the seat and other reasons (damage from some workers screwdriver in back pocket or some other tool) simply because they don’t want to take the time to write it up, which they're required to do. To find defects is the actual purpose of those "tests", and it is in fact faithfully done by newly promoted qualified personnel, but it's short lived and soon becomes just a free ride.

You listed some of the Q.C. procedures in place that need passing before units are being shipped yourself. Somebody driving MY vehicle home is not necessary and has no purpose, other than a perk the echelon gave themselves. It also makes it a used vehicle once it's been driven on public roads and parked in a private driveway over night. Maybe not to others, but it does to me.

In case you missed my earlier post regarding my truck. This thing cost me 72 thousand dollars back in 2012. It had been picked as a "randomly selected" vehicle. No surprise there, since most of them are the top of the line models. They never, or seldom pick any entry level units.

I knew when it had been delivered to the dealer and drove over with my camera in hand to take pics all the way around it, which i do every time and it does pay off, as it did again.

First thing i noticed was mud all over the sides and underneath. Clumps of mud, not just dirt. Looked like somebody went mudding.....

Then i noticed the sticker about being "randomly selected". Had 68km on it.

Then i noticed a ding in the bumper. Sweet.....almost walked away but didn't after the dealer assured me they'll wash it all away, even the clumps underneath, which i knew they would anyway, but it infuriated and annoyed me to no end. How dare they. Took me 2 years to get a replacement skin for the bumper that came in damaged. As you might know, the best paint job you'll ever get is the one from the factory, being properly applied and baked at perfect temperature and humidity, and that’s what i wanted instead of having it sprayed locally. (Ford resisted sending a painted one).

Matter of fact, Ford tried to claim the dealer caused the damage. Right up to the point when i send the dealer proof, one of the pictures i had taken right after it was delivered.

So, you see my point. I buy new, i want new! They can drive other peoples new vehicles all they want. Just leave mine alone. I won’t accept it if this happens again. Dealer is aware of it and apparently Ford is too.

Forgot to mention:
All vehicles get the water test and ALL of them get to drive over the "rummble" strip once the leave the building, but very few get randomly selected for the more extensive Shake/rattle/roll tests performed by 2 Q.C. guys. This test took 1-3 hours in the soundproof booth the machine was in.

No VIN yet. Maybe on the 9th.

Wow!!!

I haven't bought a new vehicle in 3 decades I think.

Wasn't aware of this random testing.

Not impressed by this either and have already made plans to go down with camera and video in hand for pre delivery inspection when my limited comes in.

Glad this was discussed here, I'll know if I find it with a number of kilometres on it... I m really good with spotting abnormalities and defects and will spend a long time doing the pre delivery inspection... have no plans on accepting it should there be any kind of issues... these things cost a fortune and I expect it to be brand spanking new so I can break it in gently as I'm planning on keeping it for a very long time as I do with my cars.

Currently drive a 97 Riviera as my daily that I got some 16-17 years ago and it still is a great looking car and very reliable with only 260k.

As for the dealer charging for gas.... yup, my dealer, Markville Ford in Markham Ontario is charging me $50 for gas as far as I remember.( I'm currently out of town so can't check , but I think I'm right).

I believe years ago, they threw that in as a bonus for buying from them... I could be wrong.

In any case, thanks for sharing... this was very valuable information that I and maybe the odd new ford buyer may not have know.

Wow!!!

I haven't bought a new vehicle in 3 decades I think.

Wasn't aware of this random testing..........
As for the dealer charging for gas.... yup, my dealer, Markville Ford in Markham Ontario is charging me $50 for gas as far as I remember.( I'm currently out of town so can't check , but I think I'm right).

I believe years ago, they threw that in as a bonus for buying from them... I could be wrong.

In any case, thanks for sharing... this was very valuable information that I and maybe the odd new ford buyer may not have know.
I've leased my last 7 vehicles and the tank has always been full and I was never charged for gas. When I picked up my 2011 Limited it had 12 kms (7.5 mi.) on it. My 2017 I'm guessing had 24 kms (15 mi.) on it when it was dropped off at the initial dealer and before it went to another one and finally to mine.

Peter

All vehicles that have been "randomly selected", have a small sticker on the outside (about 4x4 inches) of the driver window. On it it'll notify the dealer that this vehicle has been "randomly selected" with mileage once it's been returned to the plant. A few miles are acceptable and obviously necessary. Not all assembly is done at the assembly plants in all of fords factories. Some are being shipped to a outfitter. Outfitter is usually close by and some times next door. If the outfitter is further away, they are often shipped by convoy. Once the vehicles have been PDI'd and cleaned up before delivery, it's next to impossible to know about it having been "randomly selected" unless the buyer makes a point of asking about the higher then reasonable mileage. I'm not positive on this, but i do believe dealers have to notify customers if that's the case, but i wouldn't hold my breath....
This is what the randomly selected sticker looks like at the top right of the driver window. Sorry, no closeup....
randomly%20selected_zpsnaznehr7.jpg

Not impressed by this either and have already made plans to go down with camera and video in hand for pre delivery inspection when my limited comes in.
Best time to go and take pictures is shortly after it comes off the truck, BEFORE the PDI. I have a good dealer and they tell me when it's on the way and expected at the dealership. They wont even touch my vehicles till after i seen them.
Do you get some type of plan, like A, Z or X plan? If not, PM me if you like

March 16: Vin assigned and build day scheduled for 3/30. Window sticker wont be generated till 1 week (roughly) before production

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sticker's in and I be a Duck.......
Starting this year, ALL special orders, which includes customer orders such as mine, are identified with a GREEN Window Sticker, instead of the traditional Blue ones.
Not sure the primary reason for this, but i surely do hope it's to my advantage.
I see the TAG # again and that tells me that my Name is on the real sticker as usual. (not showing on the download version. dealer ship to info also not showing)
Sticker_zpswmjhaare.jpg

Back