Ordered Silver 2017 Explorer Platinum for my Wife | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ordered Silver 2017 Explorer Platinum for my Wife

Sticker's in and I be a Duck.......
Starting this year, ALL special orders, which includes customer orders such as mine, are identified with a GREEN Window Sticker, instead of the traditional Blue ones.
Not sure the primary reason for this, but i surely do hope it's to my advantage.
I see the TAG # again and that tells me that my Name is on the real sticker as usual. (not showing on the download version. dealer ship to info also not showing)
Hey Pete, I think the reason my name/TAG# wasn't on the 2011 Limited I ordered was because it was a lease. I just went back and checked the original Window Sticker again and in the 'Sold To' box it has the name of the dealership. Because it was a lease, technically I don't own it.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe you're right. Also....'Sold To' box always has the dealership info, purchased or leased, makes no diff. Customer name never shows up there

Send to Plant and still a go for thursday

Wow!!!

I haven't bought a new vehicle in 3 decades I think.

Wasn't aware of this random testing.

Not impressed by this either and have already made plans to go down with camera and video in hand for pre delivery inspection when my limited comes in.

Glad this was discussed here, I'll know if I find it with a number of kilometres on it... I m really good with spotting abnormalities and defects and will spend a long time doing the pre delivery inspection... have no plans on accepting it should there be any kind of issues... these things cost a fortune and I expect it to be brand spanking new so I can break it in gently as I'm planning on keeping it for a very long time as I do with my cars.

Currently drive a 97 Riviera as my daily that I got some 16-17 years ago and it still is a great looking car and very reliable with only 260k.

As for the dealer charging for gas.... yup, my dealer, Markville Ford in Markham Ontario is charging me $50 for gas as far as I remember.( I'm currently out of town so can't check , but I think I'm right).

I believe years ago, they threw that in as a bonus for buying from them... I could be wrong.

In any case, thanks for sharing... this was very valuable information that I and maybe the odd new ford buyer may not have know.

There is a Gas charge on every vehicle purchased and is listed on the DORA. The dealer is not technically paying for the gas, the customer is but because it is built into the price of the vehicle, that is why the dealership fills it for "free". The dealer should NOT be charging you an additional gas charge on top of what is already built into the vehicle.

Here is my DORA on my F350.

feaef802-d11e-4838-bb4e-5bacc91fec68_zpsde77ljj0.jpg

@peterk9 All my ordered vehicles also have my name on it (hence the paper covering it in the pic). This is something a dealer can do and it will show up on the window sticker when delivered as well.

Every customer is charged for a partial fill at the factory which i believe is 25L or 3-4 Gal.(not even 1/4 tank) My dealer fills all sold vehicles without charging the buyer, at his cost. Dealers are not obligated to do so and some will charge for the fill up.
Just found out today that the ordering customers name is not on window stickers anymore for privacy reasons.. (starting this year). The Tag 000A000 - 9 still shows though.
@blwsmoke looks like your tank was filled right up at the plant!?

Every customer is charged for a partial fill at the factory which i believe is 25L or 3-4 Gal.(not even 1/4 tank) My dealer fills all sold vehicles without charging the buyer, at his cost. Dealers are not obligated to do so and some will charge for the fill up.
Just found out today that the ordering customers name is not on window stickers anymore for privacy reasons.. (starting this year). The Tag 000A000 - 9 still shows though.
@blwsmoke looks like your tank was filled right up at the plant!?

No, filled at the dealer. I have been told that the fuel surcharge reimburses the dealers for the full tank. Owners get a full tank at no charge because it is built into the cost of the vehicle and it is on every DORA.

My Explorer's was almost $50 when I bought mine again, all on the DORA.

I see they charged you 102.96 for Fuel on the 350. Didn't know they charge you for the full tank in the USA.
It shows me being charged $8 on the Explorer for 2 Gal.

Your comments about the random testing are very interesting.

I have a different perspective on it because I ask for it to be specifically done.

My contacts at the Chicago Assembly Plant include people in QC, I specifically asked for mine to be pulled off and given the extra QC. BTW they do this for all Ford Executive vehicles going out of the Plant.

Having been to Chicago Assembly Plant several times I got the chance to watch a QC Inspection from start to finish.

I found it very informative.

The vehicle is brought into a room that's so bright it's like being on the face of the sun, a QC rep then walks around and measures all the gaps in the panels, measures the alignment of all doors, liftgate, hood, glass, and plastic trim and interior

Then they look for paint issues in the door jams and other hidden areas not visible on the outside.

The paint is inspected for imperfections.

The vehicle is taken back outside over to a room where it's put on a hoist and lifted up. Undercarriage gets inspected by another person and then its shaken for a period of time.

This is Noise, Vibration, Rattle testing.

Then it goes to the water test tank for additional leak detection and water seal testing.

After that, it gets returned to one of the QC people who take it out for a drive for more NVR testing.

As an aside, if you order factory DVD it gets installed by TDM (Chicago Mod Center) where all the Interceptors go for upfitting. That means a car porter drives it there which is about 3/4 of a mile away.

The next day it's brought back to the room with all the lights and reexamined for any visual defects.

Once approved its shipped to the dealership.

I specifically asked for this to be done on all 4 of my Explorers and wouldn't get another one without it.

The sticker on the window when it arrived at the dealership clearly explained the extra QC and said it had been driven 21KM or 13Miles.

Dealership fills the tank for delivery so fuel is not an issue.

Well, our unit arrived today with 101 miles on it and the random test sticker. Another Explorer Platinum equipped exactly the same came on the same delivery with 6 miles. We had originally switched our deposit because the first unit had a longer production time, and we thought maybe it had an issue that sidelined it. We just switched back to that unit since we figure the one with 101 miles definitely left the facility. From what I've read the vehicles that actually get QC'd end up with less that 25 miles on them.

Well, our unit arrived today with 101 miles on it and the random test sticker. Another Explorer Platinum equipped exactly the same came on the same delivery with 6 miles. We had originally switched our deposit because the first unit had a longer production time, and we thought maybe it had an issue that sidelined it. We just switched back to that unit since we figure the one with 101 miles definitely left the facility. From what I've read the vehicles that actually get QC'd end up with less that 25 miles on them.

A 100 miles is completely unacceptable. I'm going off foggy memory but I believe they are supposed to be kept under 50 miles on them. I've seen many in the 40s before.

I'm wondering if there was an issue with it and it had to go back to the factory to be fixed and then retested. That is definitely excessive and I would have been really ticked off on that.

A 100 miles is completely unacceptable. I'm going off foggy memory but I believe they are supposed to be kept under 50 miles on them. I've seen many in the 40s before.

I'm wondering if there was an issue with it and it had to go back to the factory to be fixed and then retested. That is definitely excessive and I would have been really ticked off on that.

Yes 101 miles seems rediculous. Theres no way it was just tested and extra QC at the facility. That's why we switched back to the unit with 6 miles. I'll take my chances on why it showed in production a bit longer than the other unit.

Are you sure those miles aren't from an inter-dealer transfer where the vehicle was driven?

If not that's ridiculous I agree.

Are you sure those miles aren't from an inter-dealer transfer where the vehicle was driven?

If not that's ridiculous I agree.

No dealer trade. Both identical units only 1 VIN apart shipped by rail from Chicago to the holding center in Milpitas, CA. Both arrived at the dealership today by transport. One with 6 miles the other with 101 and a window sticker stating that Ford had driven the unit for QC purposes.

No dealer trade. Both identical units only 1 VIN apart shipped by rail from Chicago to the holding center in Milpitas, CA. Both arrived at the dealership today by transport. One with 6 miles the other with 101 and a window sticker stating that Ford had driven the unit for QC purposes.
Although 101 miles does seem high, I don't think that the mileage really makes that much of a difference. The vehicle is under warranty and the warranty doesn't start until you take ownership. When I picked mine up it had almost 78 miles on it. It went from the original dealer to another one roughly 8 miles away and then to my dealer which involves a trip of approximately 30 miles. This would mean that it had around 40 miles on it when it arrived at the originating dealer.

Peter

Although 101 miles does seem high, I don't think that the mileage really makes that much of a difference. The vehicle is under warranty and the warranty doesn't start until you take ownership. When I picked mine up it had almost 78 miles on it. It went from the original dealer to another one roughly 8 miles away and then to my dealer which involves a trip of approximately 30 miles. This would mean that it had around 40 miles on it when it arrived at the originating dealer.

Peter
Gonna have to disagree with you on this one Peter. In your case you knew the unit had been dealer traded twice. On this new unit, somebody at the factory test drove it almost 100 miles. Doing what? Where? Why? Warranty is for factory defects. And in the USA it's 3 years or 36K. They are not going to extend the warranty beyond 36K. If they did in this situation, then the risk of the unknown first 100 miles might be worth considering. But not for me.

All necessary QC tests are done within any and all plants. No driving outside them is needed. All but just a handful on any given day go straight out the door with existing QC checks. The handful gets more extensive testing in the shake/rattle/roll room
There is a limit on how many miles they're allowed to drive them, but that's not enforced. If a big shot lives further away from the plant, more mileage is put on on the more of a perk it is.
If mine comes in with that kind of mileage, i not only walk away from it, but from ford.
@StevenC56 Are you buying or leasing, and did you get a Green Window Sticker or a Blue one?

All necessary QC tests are done within any and all plants. No driving outside them is needed. All but just a handful on any given day go straight out the door with existing QC checks. The handful gets more extensive testing in the shake/rattle/roll room
There is a limit on how many miles they're allowed to drive them, but that's not enforced. If a big shot lives further away from the plant, more mileage is put on on the more of a perk it is.
If mine comes in with that kind of mileage, i not only walk away from it, but from ford.
@StevenC56 Are you buying or leasing, and did you get a Green Window Sticker or a Blue one?

Blue window sticker. The unit was ordered by our dealer as a stock unit. We put a deposit on it just before the unit went into production. They had several on order at the same time, and 2 were Platinum white which is the color we want.

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one Peter. In your case you knew the unit had been dealer traded twice. On this new unit, somebody at the factory test drove it almost 100 miles. Doing what? Where? Why? Warranty is for factory defects. And in the USA it's 3 years or 36K. They are not going to extend the warranty beyond 36K. If they did in this situation, then the risk of the unknown first 100 miles might be worth considering. But not for me.
If you had stayed with the Explorer with 101 miles on it your mileage warranty would have expired at 36,101 miles. As it is, your expiry will be 36,006 with the other vehicle. As stated, the warranty begins when you sign and take delivery of the vehicle, not before. It has been discussed many times. Also from the Warranty Guide;
KNOW WHEN YOUR WARRANTY BEGINS
Your Warranty Start Date is the day you take delivery of your new
vehicle or the day it is first put into service (for example, as a dealer
demonstrator), whichever occurs first.

Peter

QUICK REFERENCE: WARRANTY COVERAGE
This chart gives a general summary of your warranty coverage provided
by Ford Motor Company under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Please refer to the description of warranty coverage for more specific
information.
For each type of coverage, the chart shows two measures:
• years in service • miles driven
The measure that occurs first determines how long your coverage lasts.
For example: Your Bumper to Bumper Coverage lasts for three years -
unless you drive more than 36,000 miles before three years elapse. In
that case, your coverage ends at 36,000 miles.

information.
The measure that occurs first determines how long your coverage lasts.
For example: Your Bumper to Bumper Coverage lasts for three years -
unless you drive more than 36,000 miles before three years elapse. In
that case, your coverage ends at 36,000 miles.

The 36k starts from the mileage on it at day of purchase, not from zero. So ad Peter stated, you still get 3 years and 36,000 from the mileage at purchase. If it was a dealer trade and they drove it 350 miles to the other dealer, your warranty goes till 36,350 and 60,350 for powertrain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

information.

That is as it says a "Quick Reference" and says it is a "general summary" and states to refer to the Warranty Coverage (Warranty Guide) for more specific information. As I and many others have said, the warranty begins with the "In Service" date. That is the day the owner buys it. It has been discussed here many times.
It also doesn't say the bumper to bumper coverage ends with 36k on the odometer. It says "unless you drive more than 36k. You didn't drive the 101 miles that were on it because you didn't own it. On the contract there is a place that says "Odometer Reading at Delivery". That is the mileage at which the 36k warranty begins. Also when I took out the 48 month ESP the dealer accounted for the existing mileage on the vehicle so ESP will start based on that mileage figure.
The defense rests.;)
NOTE: this post was being put together while blwnsmoke posted his.:D

Peter

Back