Ordered Silver 2017 Explorer Platinum for my Wife | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ordered Silver 2017 Explorer Platinum for my Wife

as of yesterday: Awaiting Shipment - Released

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In Transit, shipped convoy. Left at 12.00 CT. Should be dropped around 7-8 pm this evening.

I guess I'm in the minority here. 100 miles is nothing to me. That wouldn't slow me down one bit. Heck, when we bought our Acadia I found it at a dealer in MI and I had them drive it over to WI where I live. Brand new and I think I drove it off the lot with ~400 miles on it. And I don't care. I tend to keep my cars a long time and the miles don't mean much. I'd just check it over carefully to make sure it doesn't have any rock chips or dings and then relax, take ownership and just drive it.

I don't believe you're in the minority here. Only 1 other guy piped up against this practice.
Dealer trades are a different animal, as you agree to the travel distance and possible damage (stone-chips on paint and windshield, and the replacement windshield will likely not be the very same OEM either).
My logic is, if i pay for new, i want new, without any unnecessary use. A vehicle is the second most expensive investment I make (after my homes) and it better be right.
Heck, i expect new, unused and unopened boxes when i buy things off the shelf and floor at big box stores, which includes appliances, mattresses and furniture. I even expect unused t-shirts, socks and underwear at 5 bucks a piece. So, damn right i want a unused 62,000 dollar vehicle.
But that's just me.....

I don't believe you're in the minority here. Only 1 other guy piped up against this practice.
Dealer trades are a different animal, as you agree to the travel distance and possible damage (stone-chips on paint and windshield, and the replacement windshield will likely not be the very same OEM either).
My logic is, if i pay for new, i want new, without any unnecessary use. A vehicle is the second most expensive investment I make (after my homes) and it better be right.
Heck, i expect new, unused and unopened boxes when i buy things off the shelf and floor at big box stores, which includes appliances, mattresses and furniture. I even expect unused t-shirts, socks and underwear at 5 bucks a piece. So, damn right i want a unused 62,000 dollar vehicle.
But that's just me.....

Count me in on this as well. New is brand new no matter what I buy. Ford exec job perk. Drives the unit home on the interstate close to 50 miles. Drives the brand new unit like he stole it. Takes the family out for frozen yogurt. Parks it where overnight? No thanks. It's not new anymore as far as I'm concerned. My wife feels the same way. Took delivery of the other identical unit that had 6 miles on it instead.

In Transit, shipped convoy. Left at 12.00 CT. Should be dropped around 7-8 pm this evening.
Yeah right......that didn't happen as i figured.
It was dropped off alright, but at their yard in Detroit, or at another assembly plant where Cassens has a loading yard, (not necessarily a Ford Plant) till it was loaded up again this morning for it's way to the dealer. On the way now for sure and scheduled to be delivered by 2pm ET. Getting the camera ready and will post pics this evening.

Ordered on FEB 13
In order processing-Unscheduled-clean on March 15
Scheduled for March 30 on March 16
Produced on March 31
Awaiting shipment-released on April 3
Shipped to another location on April 4
Shipped to dealer- delivered on April 7
6 1/2 weeks total

4.8 km or 2.98 miles on it, just like it ought to be. Taking delivery Tuesday or Wednesday.
17%20Explorer%20Delivered%202%20Medium_zpsuopudcze.jpg

17%20Explorer%20Delivered%201%20Medium_zps0ubzathw.jpg

17%20Explorer%20Delivered%206%20Medium_zpswyy790rt.jpg

17%20Explorer%20Delivered%205%20Medium_zpsbr0bjv8r.jpg

Took possession of it this past Wednesday and noticed scuff marks before leaving the lot. One is at the black fog lamp bezel and the other on the black plastic around the wheel well. Both on the driver side and will be replaced.
I noticed and am pleasantly surprised that there is at least one location for a tow-hook in the front bumper, which has been the norm on European vehicles for many years and is just now starting to show on American brands. Very few Fords have this, but all should! I couldn't find anything in the owners manual about it, or the location of the eye-bolt. Found it by the spare tire.
20170414_113210%20Medium_zpsu3lz4hpx.jpg

20170414_112949%20Medium_zpsaxamsdzv.jpg

Thats one of the reasons i thought I'd mention it.
Wasn't aware of the fact that older models had it, but looking around on the lot, i couldn't find any other ford/lincoln with that tow-hook feature, not even the 83,000$ Continental. Hooking up to a vehicle without it is just about impossible without causing damage to the fascia or air-damm should one get stuck in snow or land in a ditch or a tow is needed for any other reason.

2 settings showing in Driver Assist/Settings/Locks fail to explain it's purpose in the Owners Manual.
1.) Relock
2.) Switch Inhibit
Page 107

2 settings showing in Driver Assist/Settings/Locks fail to explain it's purpose in the Owners Manual.
1.) Relock
2.) Switch Inhibit
Page 107
I believe the 'relock' function locks the doors after you unlock them and no activity occurs after a set amount of time. I had that happen with a couple of times when I unlocked the vehicle but then got side tracked and didn't open the door I think 'switch inhibit' disables the liftgate button on the outside of the 'gate'. I just checked my displays and did not see any "switch inhibit" option.
I did verify that mine 'relocked' after about 50 seconds after I unlocked it and did not touch the vehicle.

Peter

I believe the 'relock' function locks the doors after you unlock them and no activity occurs after a set amount of time. I had that happen with a couple of times when I unlocked the vehicle but then got side tracked and didn't open the door I think 'switch inhibit' disables the liftgate button on the outside of the 'gate'. I just checked my displays and did not see any "switch inhibit" option.
I did verify that mine 'relocked' after about 50 seconds after I unlocked it and did not touch the vehicle.

Peter
We have the same model, so you should have the "switches inhibit" option in the Locks settings (scroll down some more). I just disabled "switches inhibit and the tailgate operates normally." I did however find out that i can lock it by pressing the black button on the outside of the handle instead of pressing the 7/8 and 9/0 on the pad.

We have the same model, so you should have the "switches inhibit" option in the Locks settings (scroll down some more). I just disabled "switches inhibit and the tailgate operates normally." I did however find out that i can lock it by pressing the black button on the outside of the handle instead of pressing the 7/8 and 9/0 on the pad.
I have another look. I use that handle button every time I lock the vehicle. I doubt I used the fob or the Securicode pad more than 6 times in the 6 years since they introduced that function. Press button to lock, grab handle to unlock. Great feature.

Peter

Found this in the Manual on page 118 of the 3rd print edition;

Switches Inhibited The system has disabled the door switches.
Security Mode

You were right, I didn't scroll. My setting for 'Switch Inhibit' is Checked. Perhaps it enables/disables the window switches etc for the rear and passenger doors.

Peter

Thanks, i see that now. Problem is, i still don't know what disabling the door switches does, and when. Suppose they need to spell it out for guys like me.....

Thanks, i see that now. Problem is, i still don't know what disabling the door switches does, and when. Suppose they need to spell it out for guys like me.....
Well you're not alone Pete. Since I'm the only one in the household other than the dogs, I never sit in the second row. I'll have to check that out next time. Happy Easter.

Well you're not alone Pete. Since I'm the only one in the household other than the dogs, I never sit in the second row. I'll have to check that out next time. Happy Easter.

Happy Easter to you too Peter.

We already have 2 new parts waiting to get installed. Scuff marks on the black plastic wheel well trim and the foglamp bezel right out of the factory. Both DS
I now noticed a crack in the collision warning light plastic cover (red light on the dash), and have it ordered. When it's in, all 3 parts will be replaced. Does nobody inspect parts before or after assembly? Or does nobody give a damn because Chicago is on O.T. and everything goes out the door to let the customers and dealers deal with it.
Fit/finish is somewhat better than the 2015 MKX (fit/finish was bad and engine work at 5000 km) we traded, but not even close compared to German brands i looked at, and which ford and Lincoln has compared itself to in the past. Wishful thinking....
Cabin is noisier than I'm used to, which could very well be the cheap Hankook Tires. The sort of buffeting effect with the windows shut is a first for me also.
It does drive well and i do like the steering. All in all, I'm glad it's my wife's vehicle and not mine.
Seen a fresh off the truck EX-XLT on the lot with Michelin Tires yesterday and found myself scratching my head....
20170428_120344%20Medium_zpscuvads7m.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting thread. Cool about the green stickers. I ended up buying mine off a lot instead of ordering one. Had 111km on it. Was fine with that. Car works and wasn't dinged, so good enough for me.

As for switch inhibit, mine's on by default. No info in Explorer manual, but the Fusion manual has this:

Switch Inhibitor (p 52)
When you electronically lock your vehicle, the power door lock switch will no longer operate after 20 seconds. You must unlock your vehicle with the remote control or keyless keypad, or switch the ignition on, to restore function to these switches. This feature can be switched on or off in the information display. See General Information (page 84).

Still not totally clear to me what that means. There are so many ways to lock and unlock this car, hard to know what they mean, exactly. I have a toddler, and there's a philips key on the rear doors that prevents the door from opening on the inside. One on each side, and of course, there's a driver button that prevents them from rolling the windows up and down and up and down and up and down...

Back