Ordered Some Tools... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Ordered Some Tools...

Well, I don't exactly have a huge amount of tools (atleast not a nice set) so I am taking advantage of my schools discount with Snap-On. The kit includes over 200 pieces and covers metric and standard. Mostly hand tools, but a few little things. Oh, and if your wondering about the price I paid - 50% off. I also ordered two torque wrenchs (3/8s and 1/2).

Tool Set:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=65297&PartNo=9200AGSO&group_id=2290&store=snapon-store&tool=all

I will probably take pictures of the set once it arrives. If anyones curious I have craftsman tools as of right now - they aren't bad, but I use Snap-On a lot and I don't like the way craftsmans stuff feels. Plus, we have a snap on guy that comes by the shop who already has a lot of my money.

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
Are we talking about the modis? The modis has connections up top for a monitor. They have a "station" you can buy that includes a cart, monitor, keyboard and all this other gibberish so you can do that type of stuff. It's ok, not worth to money to me. But you can save the "screen shot" and then upload it to a computer. You can also save recordings of wave signals or o2 signals

-Drew

ps about the schools equipment, I have no idea..but the stuff is already old enough (everythings atleast 5+ years behind). We had to scan a '99 vehicle with snap on's "brick" and it only went up to 95 haha. Jerks :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Drew, you mentioned something about connecting a laptop to scan for codes. Maybe it was just about using this Modis workstation, and saving the information to a disk to run on a laptop. I know that they have adapter modules that hook up to an ALDL (at least that is what it's called on a GM), and connect it to a laptop to see everything in real time such as RPMs, intermittent sensor flare ups, O2 mixture readings, and datalogging to compare data when there is an intermittent CEL. Sometimes the ECM doesn't always store intermittent CEL data. That is when they use a data logger device. I've also heard that rental companies have them installed in the vehicle, and use the data to log WOT, RPMs, air bag deployment, antilock sensor data, and other data for insurance companies if there was an accident. PS. Did you have a chance to try that utility software in the school?

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
Oh - the software stuff. Yeah we are getting Fords Factory software soon that will be on laptops. Ford has it on laptop and PDAs, but they are having problems with the PDAs so we are just keeping it on the laptops. I would suspect that Ford is everything of equal value to GMs. I will have to get back to you on what it all does once we get it

-Drew

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
If you are looking for a pretty sophisticated laptop connection with software - and at an affordable price, try www.myscantool.com. (we're hijacking this thread now. Drew feel free to delete this or move it.)

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
My tools came in yesterday. Lots of goodies. It did come with rachets for all sizes (1/4,3/8s, 1/2). Very nice set. I didn't take pictures - sorry. It has filled up my tool box though :thumbsup:

-Drew

chriswells78

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Powell(Columbus), OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
Time for a bigger tool box :)

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
The next step would be to get one of those Snap On multi drawer tool chests. You would need 2 sets of tools, one that stays in those drawers, and one smaller set that is portable for your tool box. Since that set is worth over $4k, I would be afraid to take it to the school. I would keep it in the big multi drawer chest, and have a cheap Craftsman set in the tool box.

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
The snap on set I have is at the shop I work at. Tools are supplied at my school. I do not have a cart yet, but Plan on getting one once I'm full time. My current tool box location is inbetween to lifts, which I only use one of them sparingly - so I'm running to my tool box a lot. A cart would be nice but not exactly necessary right now

-Drew

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
I once saw a home made tool box alarm system on a tool box in a repair shop. It had an ignition coil, and a fire bell (big round metal dish with a small hammer that strikes it). Whenever somebody would touch the box, or try to open a drawer, they would get a severe shock, and the bell would start to ring. This is one way to keep people out of your box. Just remember to shut it off before going into it, and don't spill anything near it! It's pretty dangerous around oil, and cleaning sprays. I could understand the guy didn't want anybody going into it, or stealing anything, but I think it's too dangerous .