Ordering a 2017 - Question About Shadow Black>>> | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ordering a 2017 - Question About Shadow Black>>>

SilverStallion

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I have a 2014 in Tuxedo Black and love it. Sadly, this colour has been discontinued therefore I am looking at the Shadow Black.

My question is for those with Shadow Black - do you find the paint soft and chips/scratches easily. The reason I ask is that I had a 2012 Mustang 5.0 and it chipped very easy and the paint was literally soft. I have also detailed newer Cadillacs and the Piano Black (non-metallic) was quite robust and did not seem to scratch nearly as easy.

I was curious on opinions of those with the new Shadow Black. I realize black will always scratch and that does not bother me as a competitive show car guy who details for pleasure. I am just trying to determine whether this will be as soft a paint colour as my last Mustang given it will be my daily driver.

Magnetic is my second choice...but by a fair amount.

Thanks everyone.

Darren

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm no expert by any means, but comparing my black Explorer to that of my RX350, there's not enough pearl/glitter and or gloss in the paint.
When fully washed, my Lexus outshines the Ford and it's a full year newer.

I'm no expert by any means, but comparing my black Explorer to that of my RX350, there's not enough pearl/glitter and or gloss in the paint.
When fully washed, my Lexus outshines the Ford and it's a full year newer.

I also have a Lexus and the paint job of the Explorer, white platinum, cannot be compared to the higher quality paint job of the white crystal gold Lexus, apples and oranges.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2010/08/04/lexus-manufacturing-master-of-paint/

I also have a Lexus and the paint job of the Explorer, white platinum, cannot be compared to the higher quality paint job of the white crystal gold Lexus, apples and oranges.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2010/08/04/lexus-manufacturing-master-of-paint/

The question is, why does it have to be an apple and orange comparison?
At MSRP, the Explorer Sport and Platinum is at similar price range as that of the RX350.
How much of the paint job accounts for the cost of the vehicle?

The question is, why does it have to be an apple and orange comparison?
At MSRP, the Explorer Sport and Platinum is at similar price range as that of the RX350.
How much of the paint job accounts for the cost of the vehicle?

I'm not sure you can break it down that way. If you do research on how much effort Lexus put into perfecting their paint jobs, it's somewhat amazing. Owning both types of vehicles, the Lexus paint job is superior hands down to the Explorer paint job. I'll even go a step further and say that Toyota/Lexus vehicles have a much higher QA/QC hurdle than Ford and that they are some of the best built, if not the best built cars/trucks on the road today.

Have you noted if your black Explorer scratches excessively? Chips?

No disrespect...not really interested in Lexus paint.

Thx.

Have you noted if your black Explorer scratches excessively? Chips?

No disrespect...not really interested in Lexus paint.

Thx.

Nothing down to the primer, but yes, I have a few scratches that will need buffing; one being a simple brush from the zipper from my jacked just walking by the door.
You don't even want to get me started on the complimentary swirls on the first day, as a result of the wash the vehicle went through at the dealership during PDI.

My 2016 is Shadow Black. I have 26000km (16100mi) on it. There are 2 or 3 small chips on the hood, about the size of a ball point pen head. I drive 80% highway, 15% (pothole) city, and 5% gravel/backroads.

Thanks everyone - I see a 2017 Ex Sport Shadow Black with flat black and red accents in my future.

Enjoy the weekend.

Darren

Back