• Register Today It's free!

O'Reilly's engine?

titansarrow

Reaction score
City, State
dayton, oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer
i've been trying to figure out how to go about rebuilding or getting a new motor. I asked a guy at o'reilly's if he knew of any engine shop in the area that just did builds. he said that they could get me one.

the ford 4.0 manual would be $2100 + $200 core. the only thing he said i would have to switch over was the valve covers and timing cover. although i would suspect my oil pan/gasket as well??

I was wondering if any has gone through them, or know somebody who has?
if i remember correctly they go through Power Motors, or Power Motor Sports, something like that

**forgot to mention it's for a rebuilt/ re manufactured motor w/ 3yr warranty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's your location? (Hint: Update your profile and put your location in it)

Might check and see if you have a Pull-a-part around you. I think a V6 engine is like 130 dollars plus whatever the warranty is? I see no reason to spend over 2000 dollars on a vehicle I could buy whole for 1500 in the classifieds.

For 2000 you could upgrade to the V8 302 if you wanted to and knew where to look...

but there in lies the problem. i don't have the means to rebuild one myself. i won't have access to a garage until march. other wise i would take the time to build one up and do the swap myself. my job puts me 9.5hrs away, so buying anther 2k vehicle would simply put me in the same boat in the near future. i would rather put in the new motor, and have 90% of the mechanicals in the truck new (already did the trans). considering i have over 300k on the truck, and honestly have no clue what's on this this motor, not to mention i only know for sure that the valves need to be replaced, i would like to just nip it all.

Call RMP powertrain. 800-257-7418 If they won't sell to you direct they'll give you the best place to go.

If you've got the money to piss away, knock yourself out. But dumping a new motor into a 20 year old truck with 300K on it seems insane to me. Find a low mile wreck at a scrap yard, pull the motor, swap it in and save a ton of money. You don't have to rebuild it, just swap it over and you're ahead of the game. same amount of work as putting a new one in, just a lot cheaper.

You say you don't have access to a garage until march but how are you planning to put the o'reily's motor in?

Hope this works out for you...

It says in big red letter that the odometer rolled over or was rolled back. Please. I'd replace the engine if your comfortable with the rest of the truck. It's your truck and nobody knows it like you do. Junk yard vehicles aren't in the junkyard because they were in good shape. They are there for a reason.

I agree it's your truck, do what you want with it... just be sure you want to keep that truck with that many miles on it. Might be time for an upgrade? Other issues could come up that haven't yet..

right on. the reason i wasn't going to to get a second "cheapy" truck, or straight up pulled engine was because of what i said before. at some point, i'm going to have the same problem, why bother spending the money every year or 2 to replace the vehicle or motor?.....especially when this motor comes with a 3 year warranty. who's to say that the junker motor or vehicle doesn't have an underlying problem?

i know this truck needs valves (rebuild at least(knocking)) and shocks. and considering this is my current project truck and rig ride (oil field), i don't need or want something "nice".

and you guys should consider this- yeah, the truck it's self isn't worth much. and i'm paying for a motor that is the equivalent value. but, even with paying 2-3k a year on an old truck, i'm still paying far less than a new truck payment, even the insurance is about half as much.

the body is in great shape to boot. crappy paint, but no rust, cracks or dents.

If as you say you have a new transmission, a boat load of other new parts, and a rust and dent free body, then a new engine makes sense. I would definitely check around for best prices though.

Here in the rust belt a high mileage '91 would be leaving little parts of itself everywhere it went!

It says in big red letter that the odometer rolled over or was rolled back. Please. I'd replace the engine if your comfortable with the rest of the truck. It's your truck and nobody knows it like you do. Junk yard vehicles aren't in the junkyard because they were in good shape. They are there for a reason.

Oh, I didn't see that. Never mind.:)

i moved it back from utah to the noth east, so i'll be putting coats of primer and under body coating on it asap

If as you say you have a new transmission, a boat load of other new parts, and a rust and dent free body, then a new engine makes sense. I would definitely check around for best prices though.

Here in the rust belt a high mileage '91 would be leaving little parts of itself everywhere it went!

I can't give anything direct about OR's engines BUT I'd wanna hear lots of good word of mouth before I'd buy a *manufactured* engine. Too many bad stories floating around about them. Warranted yes, if it breaks a rod. But if it uses a quart of oil every tank or month or a miss that you just can't eliminate, something just not quite right .....you're SOL. There's some things you just don't buy at OR's.

If OR wants 200 core and you can buy a motor at a U-pull for 130 then why not use the U-pull motor as a core for a local engine builder with a good rep? Meh, that's more work.
If you used a local engine builder you'd do the core swap when you pick up the new motor.
Ask around in your local area. who does good work? Shops have reputations and people like to talk. So and so used to be the place to take a cyl head but they're getting lazy lately. think he's getting ready to retire - Go to S&K - sort of thing.

My .02

^^^^

again, the problem is that i haven't got somewhere to build it myself, or i wouldn't be buying a complete motor. i'd just buy a pull it motor and build it up. i guess it's just convenience, but until i find otherwise, it's also peace of mind. especially if a shop does the swap, if something fails, even oil leakage, it's on them

Back