Orifice tube direction / effect if backwards? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Orifice tube direction / effect if backwards?

PStansberry78

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XL
I just replaced my A/C evaporator and accumulator/drier. But I'm pretty sure now that I have it all together that I put the new orifice tube in backwards.

What is the net effect if I did this? When I began charging the system, the compressor kicked on for a bit, but now does not. There is freon in the system, but nothing is happening now.

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think its possible to put the orifice tube in backwards.

How much freon did you put in the system, and did you add PAG oil?

How do you add Pag oil to the system? I thought the Freon had the oil in it.

How do you add Pag oil to the system? I thought the Freon had the oil in it.

Some cans do, some don't. The can should say whether or not it has oil in it, and how much.

Whats your A/C expertise, btw? Not looking to throw darts, but to establish a level of assistance in responding.

Too much oil is better than not enough. After all the parts were replaced, did you draw a vacuum before charging the system?

What did the old orifice tube look like....clean (some green oil is normal), gritty, clogged with black goo, etc...?

No real prior experience dealing with A/C. Brother in law was helping... He had some. I still think I put that orifice in backwards.

Yes, we drew a vacuum on the system, because it wouldn't take any at all at first.

Old orifice had all sorts of gunk and grit on it.

No real prior experience dealing with A/C. Brother in law was helping... He had some. I still think I put that orifice in backwards.

Yes, we drew a vacuum on the system, because it wouldn't take any at all at first.

Old orifice had all sorts of gunk and grit on it.

You put the "short" end of the tube in first. The end with the long plastic "cage" with the screen is what you grasp to remove and install it.

When you push the new one in, it will get snug, then push a little harder and it'll pop into place. There are two o-rings which need to seat, so there are two "pops" when installing it. Generally, the system pressure will seat it if you don't get it in all the way.

I have no idea what the behavior would be if your installed it backwards, but just thinking out loud: Its not a check valve, so it'll flow in either direction. Since the orifice is a set dimension, it should work both ways.

If the system has freon in it now, I can't just pop that joint back open, can I?

Nope.

How much freon did you put in?

My brother-in-law did it, so unfortunately I do t know for sure. My understanding is the system holds Just shy of three pounds, though.

My brother-in-law did it, so unfortunately I do t know for sure. My understanding is the system holds Just shy of three pounds, though.

I just looked up your capacity, and for the 1993, you need 32ozs of R12 (yes, R12), and 7 ozs of mineral oil. These are fluid ozs, not weight.

Has your system been changed over to 134a?

I just looked up your capacity, and for the 1993, you need 32ozs of R12 (yes, R12), and 7 ozs of mineral oil. These are fluid ozs, not weight.

Has your system been changed over to 134a?

Well - All of the fittings have been updated for R134a. And the system was totally empty because the evaporator's low side metal pipe was broken completely off. There was no Freon in the system at all.

Back