• Register Today It's free!

orifice tube removal

wirzy79

Reaction score
City, State
philadelphia,pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
Does anyone here have any pics showing where and how to remove and replace the orifice tube? Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you disconnect the freon line going into the accumulator, you will see it. That is the area where you fill it with freon. I see that you are from Philadelphia. My inlaws live there. Are you in the NE section?

I've used a needle nose pliers to extract the orifice tube. They make special tools for this purpose such as the ones in the picture below (photo courtesy of Glacier991's photo gallery):
15286Dscn4672.jpg

actually the orifice tube is not at the accumulator, but housed in an enlarged section of the line going to the accumulator from the condensor, it is about mid engine and you cannot directly view it from a point of view up top - in other words you have to kind of work blind...

Glacier, do you have a picture of that area? On my van, it was at the connection going into the accumulator. I guess the Explorers have everything hidden in different places, so it's hard to make a comparison.

Attached is picture from 91 Mazda Navajo. Looking down after removal of Air intake box on passenger side. The orifice is where the two nuts are together. 19 mm and 22 mm wrench. This is on the intake (bottom) of evaporator the condenor is to the right (front of vehicle). Note slight bend in tube, this is from not firmly holding the left nut stationary while unscrewing the right. This resulted in difficulty in removing tube with needle nose pliers and even greater difficulty in inserting new valve. I had to insert a screw driver in tube to straighten. There is an o-ring on the right nut.
The intake airbox was removed by removing three nuts in the wheelwell holding it down. Note that the accumulator was also removed. The round bracket visible in left hand of picture held the accumulator and also extends down to hold the evaporator input tube.

This should help if the Wirzy79 91 sport is like the Navajo.

Attachments

• Orifice.JPG
    Orifice.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 48,085

OK I got my old orifice tube out but cant get the new one in. Is there a trick to it?

The short end (left end in BB's picture) goes towards the firewall. The flow is from the condensor to the evaporator. If the tube is bent it will have to be straightened. I inserted #4 phillips screwdriver. Otherwise as BB says, a little bit of air conditioning oil.

The tube is not bent and I had alot of oil on it still won't go in. I cracked the new orifice tube trying to put it in. I have to get another new one. Hopefully I'll have more luck tommorow.

By hand

Back