• Register Today It's free!

orifice tube ?

foamerdave

Reaction score
City, State
quakertown pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0 awd EB
Hi have a I have a 97 EB 5.0. Can not get cold a/c, cooler but not cold at all. Thought it was the blend so I went a cutting to find out all is fine :cool:. Went out and got a can of 134a with a gauge on it, and it has a full charge. Compressor is in a "fast cycle" With the gauge hooked up ( low side only) when the compressor kicks on the psi drops. All of the hoses feel hot like I am getting a "super heat" condition. I am thinking I have a clogged orifice tube. Or am I way off.
Disclaimer: I know just enough to be dangerous to my self when it comes to a/c. Any and all work will be done with the system being legally drained vaced and filled by a shop.

It sounds like a possibility, hopefully someone with AC experience will know better. I also have a poor cooling issue that I think could be the blend door, orifice tube, or heater control valve. I have a new HCV to do with my new hoses and engine/trans. I'd love for that to be the answer, and I'm hoping that the blend door isn't. The blend door issue is supposed to be a 95-97 problem. Regards,

Hi have a I have a 97 EB 5.0. Can not get cold a/c, cooler but not cold at all. Thought it was the blend so I went a cutting to find out all is fine :cool:. Went out and got a can of 134a with a gauge on it, and it has a full charge. Compressor is in a "fast cycle" With the gauge hooked up ( low side only) when the compressor kicks on the psi drops. All of the hoses feel hot like I am getting a "super heat" condition. I am thinking I have a clogged orifice tube. Or am I way off.
Disclaimer: I know just enough to be dangerous to my self when it comes to a/c. Any and all work will be done with the system being legally drained vaced and filled by a shop.

Fast cycling is most likely a low charge. If you have a clogged orifice causing issues you have much bigger problems, its usually from an exploded compressor. The can gauge is a joke because you can't see high pressure. Where do you see a full charge? Static pressure? Put on goggles when you work on A/C! And put a some R134a into the system as it runs. See if the compressor cycle gets longer. The only way you can charge now without a gauge is by temperature, see if your vent temps get into the high 30s to mid 40s range, add a little at a time.
Also, you probably have a leak somewhere, you can find it with a UV light or freon sniffer.

The right way with A/C is to find the leak/fix, vac out all the air, see if it holds vac, add back the exact amount of R134a and oil.

Back