orifice tube | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

orifice tube

marine1bird

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am trying to find my orifice tube for a 1991 Ranger.I replaced the compressor and the accumilator, I thought it would be between the evaporator and the accumilator but it was not there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to make sure we are talking the same thing. The lower line that goes into evaporator is where it should be. I've had it blow into the evaporator twice.. both times you get no pressure differential..

Last time it happened on a new evaporator.. I just left it in there and pinched the crimp more than the factory did and its been fine since..

I know thats not the "right" way to do it, but I'm not pulling the evaporator out unless I "have to"..

~Mark

I guess that mine must have gone into the evaporator too because I can not find it .

The orifce tube is broken off inside of the line, that is why I could not find it. Is there a way to remove it or will I have to buy another evaporator? It is broken pretty far in the line.

In "theory" you can cut the line and add a repair kit BUT no repair kits I found worked on the explorer evaporator.

If its not "plugged" and it is indeed blown in somewhat so another one will fit then I'd just add another in the line. If not, its time to pull the evaporator.

~Mark

That only works if the orifice tube is broken BUT where it should be. In my case it had blown into the evaporator..

If it just "broke" but didn't move then yes that tools works great (I've used it before)..

BUT.. they don't usually break until you try to take it out.. If you can't find it to take it out then it most likely didn't break.. It blew into the evaporator.

~Mark

Back