Original 0-60 times on 96-98 Explorers? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Original 0-60 times on 96-98 Explorers?

wow, do you have a stick in the 5.2 those have always seemed sluggish to me

the JGC Limiteds didnt come with a stick...only older (93 and 94) Laredos came with the manual

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok what am I missing? how in gods name did a mountaineer get less than 9? I'm pulling a 14 when I ease it up, and an 11 or 12 when I punch it! whats the deal?

I guess my tranny really is screwed... again

dang it you got that Vanilla Ice song in my head now! "Rollin' in my 4.0" :D

Gosh my '95 with 108,000 on the clock will pull in 10 second dashes to 60. And that's with absolutely no mods to it's OHV 4.

My Dad's '87 Dakota 4x4 (120hp 3.9 V-6, 3.55 axle ratio) couldn't win a race against a stationary grocery cart. that thing is SLLOOOOOWW. it doesn't help that it has 190,000 on it, but sheesh it tops out at 85mph, takes 5 minutes to get to 60 it seems.

Explorer Express's time is a typo. The time is from the OHV 4.0L. I couldn't even find a current referrence to the 10.7 on their web-page so I think they might have removed it. It was discussed a year or so ago. I think they left it up their as long as they did since it made their SuperCharger look like it produced more than it did. I have a printout of the Explorer Express supercharger ad from a couple of years ago and it lists the stock 0-60 time of the V8 at 8.8, the OHV at 10.7.

Originally posted by major
Man whats up with the mountineers. that sucks they are faster ha. and thats no good if i get say a 9 sec 0-60 with a 2wd that has a couple parts on it and some of you are pulling off low 8's. Do yall have the extra traction of the awds. I figured the less weight of the 2wd would offset that since i cant hardly catch a wheel unless i powerbrake. Major

If your tires aren't spinning off the line then AWD isn't going to make you take off any quicker, only slower. The added weight plus the lower torque to a single axle will slow it the AWD down. I messed around with my Control Trac in the rain several months ago. I found that I could take off a lot quicker if I left it in Auto and hit the throttle just shy of spinning the tires and activating the front wheels. When I put it in High I didn't get any wheel spin but it also took off quite a bit slower. I think this was due to the fact that each axle was only getting 50% of the engine torqu as opposed to the 96% that the rear gets in Auto. I'm not positive if traction works that way or not though. It seems logical that a vehicle putting out 200 ft/lbs of torque to the rear wheels will take off quicker than a vehicle putting out 100 ft/lbs of torque to the front and 100 ft/lbs of torque to the rear if the tires have enough traction in both situations to not spin. Now if you could put 200 ft/lbs to the front and 200 ft/lbs to the rear it would take off very fast.

Back