Original owner 2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 6cy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Original owner 2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 6cy

melnedje

Reaction score
City, State
Ankeny, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello. I'm new to the forum but long time owner of a 2005 Explorer XLT with 172k miles. The truck has been good to us and we want to keep it going as a 2nd vehicle. With it's older age I'm hoping to find advice to keep it running and functional. And also share my experiences with this SUV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forums! You'll find plenty of info here for just about anything ya need. Other than keeping up the general maintainence, I ain't got much advice on those, I've only owned a '99 XLT myself.

Welcome aboard. The first thing I would suggest is getting it treated with a film based rust preventative like Fluid Film or something similar. Stay away from rubberized or hard coatings like paint. Especially stay away from places like Ziebart. Where you live salt will take a heavy toll on vehicles driven in winter and will eventually render them unsafe to drive and very difficult to repair due to excess rust buildup. Dealing with rust is one of the best things you can do to keep a vehicle on the road when you live in the Rust Belt. There are a lot of YouTube videos that cover film coatings for rustproofing.

Hello. I'm new to the forum but long time owner of a 2005 Explorer XLT with 172k miles. The truck has been good to us and we want to keep it going as a 2nd vehicle. With it's older age I'm hoping to find advice to keep it running and functional. And also share my experiences with this SUV.
welcome to EF!

Welcome.

Back