Original radiator hose clamps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Original radiator hose clamps

pricetag2

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 EB
Had the oddest thing happen on my 1998 EB 5.0 AWD, 209K miles. I was losing coolant but couldn't see where. Thought it might be the radiator (2nd time) but the coolant drips were up high. Checked the upper hose to the radiator and coolant leaked out, Turned out to be a worn out original factory clamp. It broke in half when I tried to remove it. Replaced the hose and used worm drive clamps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow I have never seen a factory hose clam brake in half.

i hate the factory-style spring clamps. they're a PITA to deal with. I always replace them with worm-style clamps any time i need to deal with them.

Here is the problem with worm-style clamps: The clamps have no spring, and the clamping force comes from squeezing the rubber. After a while the rubber shrinks a bit, the clamping force is lost, and leaking starts. So you tighten them a bit more, which helps for a while, until the rubber shrinks again, and so on and so on. The end result is the nasty-looking, hard 'neck' on the hose, which won't seal anymore, and sometimes a damaged radiator nipple too. With the factory-style ones the clamping force comes from the spring, and is approximately constant, so no significant deformation of the rubber is needed. In the past I needed to replace hoses every couple years; now they last a decade.

i hate the factory-style spring clamps. they're a PITA to deal with. I always replace them with worm-style clamps any time i need to deal with them.

I have been using the worm-style clamps for over 50 years. In that time, I've never had to go back and re-tighten one due to a leak. You are entitled to your preference.

Spring clamps and constant torq clamps work far better than worn clamps one of hugh reasons why factory use them. Along with using long life anti-freeze worn clamps cannot keep hoses from leaking especially cold water leaks.
One main reason why poeple hate spring clamps they can be hard to remove. Yes factory uses them for another reason faster for line assemble poeple to put it together faster

Channel locks are my go-to tool for these clamps.

Back