Original Saleen Explorer #001 on Ebay | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Original Saleen Explorer #001 on Ebay

CJExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4X4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didnt even know they made those!! If i had the money id definitely pick it up :(

They only made 121, its rare to see them for sale.
If you get your hands on the "Saleen Explorer Wing" it costs big bucks as they destroyed the molds. They go for like 600+ by themselves if you see them for sale.

:notworthy :eek: why cant money grow on trees?!?!? :frustrate

i thought everyone had a money tree in their backyard
TheMoneyTree.jpg

oh now that I see that it reminds me, my neighbor's got one right next to his Ferrari Dino

...Nice find...:biggthump

...I wonder if I had seen him in my neighborhood and didn't even notice...

Nah, too much money.
Here's the problem:
You could go two ways with it:
1.) Spend even more money to restore it to like new. At that point it would be foolish to drive it. So, now you've got a museum piece. I guess if you have the space and money, it might be a good long term investment.
2.) Don't restore, just drive it. Now you've spent $14,000 on an Explorer that you could recreate (ok, not exactly, as you can't get the exact Saleen body pieces- another reason not to drive it) for a LOT less.
3.) From what I've heard, if you call Saleen for any info on these, they'll pretend that they never even existed. There isn't even anything about them on the Saleen website. The history of Saleen pretty much ignores these Explorers. Granted, they were a very limited production, but it's almost like Saleen is embarrassed to be associated with them. So, kinda loses some of it's "shine" there. It would also make it hard to verfiy anything about the truck and/or the guys paperwork.

I wonder why it has the 97 rear taillights and hatch. Maybe because this particular one was a prototype, and the rest of them were built with the 98 lights and hatch?

I wonder why it has the 97 rear taillights and hatch. Maybe because this particular one was a prototype, and the rest of them were built with the 98 lights and hatch?

That is odd...

It's listed as a 1998 in that one line up top of the auction, but everything else says 1996, so maybe because of the prototypical nature, it is a 1996 Ex...?

I'd buy it, but the floor mats are junk. I couldn't live with that. So, I'll pass. :D

It's says it's the original prototype from 1996 and the original production Saleen in 1998? They just used the original 1996 as the first 1998 production even though it's a 1996 Explorer? Doesn't really make sense. I think I would rather take 14,000 and sup up my own Explorer.

I purchased a 1998 XP6 Saleen Explorer for $6000.00 last year. The 4.0 SOHC engine had 76,000 miles (it now has 89,000 miles). This vehicle handles great for an SUV and so far the only problems are the timing chain rattles and there is a shimmy at 65 mph (needs ball joints). I plan to give it a tune up at 90,000 miles and change the ball joints. I will live with the timing chain rattle.

Paul

Back