Original Spark Plugs from the Factory? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Original Spark Plugs from the Factory?

FerdExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
As usual when I get a new vehicle, I like to change the oil and inspect the ignition system. Pulled my plugs and the Gap was .75 give or take. Noticed the blue mark on the Tips of them. Just out of curiosity, does this mean these are the plugs from the factory? Where I work, we use a blue or white marker to mark things that have been Torqued. Just curious. :scratch:

002_zps8zpgoo7q.jpg

001_zpsj8vcvitw.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have the v6 I found the same thing on mine. I don't know why the blue is there but if you look at the numbers on the plugs the are different from one side to the other. I also found that the gap was wider on one side than the other. So they are probably the original plugs. Mine had 114000 miles on them. You also can't buy the originals so I am told.
Bob T
:usa:

If V6, and Motorcraft AGSF22PGM plugs were in the passenger side, and AGSF22PM on the drivers side, they were factory installed plugs. As previously mentioned, identical replacements are not available and the factory recommended AGSF22PP (SP500) is the correct plug for both sides. If you are wondering why Ford used different plugs on each side, search "wasted spark" ignition. My originals had blue marks only on the passenger bank.

Is the 4.0 SOHC a wasted spark ignition system?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406810

I was about to get away from this without doing wires and putting that off for another paycheck. However the passenger side front plug wire had a different idea. Also that plug had lived a long productive life and ended it at .96 Gap. I have replaced them with Champion Platinum plugs. Was going to go Motorcraft, but decided to settle for 3 dollar a Piece plugs instead of 5. I have a 147k miles and really shocked that the Explorer ran as good as it did. It did have a little sputter once in awhile and gas mileage probably could be better, but ran great. I guess its a good thing they are factory plugs. Every vehicle I have had, people don't grease the threads and/or cross thread them. These came in and out like a dream. I didn't check if the plugs were different on each side. Ill take a look. Cool info to know. Its a V6.

001%202_zpsnbn00fti.jpg

Buy a $1.50 counter pack of dielectric grease to prevent the plug wire boots from sticking.
Very light coating inside the boots is all it takes. Use remaining grease on battery terminals.

Hopefully the Champion plugs won't cause issues, definitely NOT the plug of choice
and second only to Bosch. Kind of like Fram oil filters here. Talk about hate. LOL :eek:

Ford engines don't play well with any plugs other than Motorcraft and Autolite.

I've used Champion now for the last 10 or so years. Like Penzoil, they achieved a bad name at one time and it's stuck in the minds of so many. Even those that weren't alive at the time.

From tests I've seen, Champions are better than Autolites. This was from a salesman that sold all brands and got paid from whatever one you purchased.

If you got or get the Champions, get the 9808 Iridiums. In fact, which ever one you get, make sure they are Iridiums. Stay away from single platinum for sure and doubles if possible. Platinum isn't the greatest conductor, but withstands the power of today's systems better than copper (which is the best conductor.)
Iridiums are an improvement over platinum.

With aluminum heads, you don't need antiseize on your plug threads, you do use it with iron heads.
Spark plugs with "silver" threads have a built in/on coating that is an antiseize. You only need apply antiseize on black colored threads.

As well, torque is the need to over come resistance. So when the book says xyz lbs of torque, that's usually dry. When you apply antiseize, you reduce resistance which allows you to over tighten the plugs trying to achieve the listed torque.

I always grease my plug threads and have a big tube of electric grease. I'm very crazy about greasing anything that plugs or screws back in after I take it off. Iv'e always had good luck with Champions, which is why I chose them. I guess I will find out. :roll:

Buy a $1.50 counter pack of dielectric grease to prevent the plug wire boots from sticking.
Very light coating inside the boots is all it takes. Use remaining grease on battery terminals.

Hopefully the Champion plugs won't cause issues, definitely NOT the plug of choice
and second only to Bosch. Kind of like Fram oil filters here. Talk about hate. LOL :eek:

I actually cleaned and greased my battery terminals right after I did the tune up :) I did oil too and definitely didn't use a Fram filter and won't ever :thumbdwn:

Champion spark plug co was started by Albert Champion. He lost the company to investors who continued operating the co.

Later on Albert Champion started AC spark plug Co with the help of Buick and then was bought out by General Motors.

Bob T
:usa:

champion is an ok product, I've used that one as a replacement for my Jeep instead of Mopar. In fact I've use Motorcraft oil filter on my Jeep too (much bigger and cheaper). So can't go wrong with Autolite, Motorcraft or Champion.

Just don't use Bosch.

Back