Osilating "thruming" noise in turns. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Osilating "thruming" noise in turns.

KJRiley

Reaction score
City, State
Mid Atlantic
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 and 2006
Hey folks,
2007 Explorer with 144,000 miles.
It developed an quite oscillating thrumming while in turns and I wasn't able to figure out what was causing it. It's not loud and I felt a little, very little, vibration through the steering wheel as I moved it off-center for the turns.
So, parts replaced,
Wheel bearing assemblies
Both CV Axles
New tires.
That didn't eliminate it but I bearly feel any vibration in the steering wheel.
The shop I go to checked it out before we put on the new tires and didn't find anything obvious.These are good telented folks and I trust them.
So, Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you replace all the bearings or just the front?

The front. The rears are fine an the noise is only coming from the front and I feel that small vibration in the steering wheel. I hesitate to call it a vibration as the aplitude is so low.
There is no noise coming from the rear.

Don't be so sure. My worst rear bearing sounded like it was coming from the front and I had a vibration in the steering wheel. It seemed to be a right side bearing although the noise did not increase very much during a turn. Since my fronts were relatively new, I bit the bullet and replaced the right rear. Took care of the problem completely.
If you have 144K and they have never been replaced then they need to be replaced.

What 07EddyB said. Noise and vibration can travel back to front.

My shop checked the rears and found them fine. I'll have them look again.

my explorer had a bearing roar when I bought it, but I couldnt determine which was bad, so waiting till I saw abnormal tire wear. Replaced driver front, and the noise was cut in half. 5k miles later I replaced the passenger front and the noise was almost completly gone.... A few thousand miles later my rear diff went out, after replacing that the only noise is tire hum..... so yea, check your diffs.

Back