OTC 6488 Timing tool set. Says for 97-02 Will it work on 04 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OTC 6488 Timing tool set. Says for 97-02 Will it work on 04

cltrailer

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer
Looking to buy the OTC 6488 tool kit for the timing on my 2004 4.0 Explorer. Looking several places, it says kit is for 1997 through 2002. Will this work on my 2004?? Is there a different kit I need to look for?? Has anyone seen/used the kit made by Diamond? Diamond says theris is for 02 -10 Thanks !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OTC-6488 applications

The only possible reason I can think of that would prevent the OTC-6488 timing tool kit from working on later Explorers is the change to the harmonic balancer that happened around 2004. However, I think some members have used it successfully on the later models. Also, it is used on the 2005 and later Mustangs.

There is a little bump in the timing cover preventing the crank from hitting 0* TDC with the earlier tool on a later engine. I just ground the corner off my my tool and it now fits on both engines. The balancer crank trigger sproket has the same teeth 97-10 even though there are about 5 versions of it between the years.

Thank you!

Thank you all so much! This forum is such a wonderful thing. It's kinda sad, the world we live in, when you call the dealer and they wont tell you anything nor will the manufacture of the tools tell you anything either. People here give you help and expect nothing in return! Thanks again!!

Back