Other vehicles you considered before buying the 2011 X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Other vehicles you considered before buying the 2011 X

GregV8

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
What was your shopping path leading to the purchase of your new Explorer?

For me:
  • BMW X3 and X5
  • Toyota Highlander
  • Mazda CX-9
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Dodge Durango
  • Dodge Charger AWD
  • Ford Edge

(...and past ownership of an '04 EB.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first requirement was seven passenger seating. Second was a need to tow at least 5000 pounds - the Explorer barely meets this as the capacity drops pretty quickly once you start loading up cargo. Finally, I really wanted to buy something American made.

That said, my list went from the models listed above (plus the Honda Pilot, Volkswagen Toureg, Audi Q5/7 and some other Toyota) to the Explorer, Durango, and X5.

My current/previous vehicle is a 2001 X5 and it is an absolutely fantastic vehicle. The driving experience is unmatched, it tows incredibly well (6000 pound limit, too), and does everything well. The ONLY reason I went for the Explorer instead is that I wanted a change from the BMW for a while. The X5 is do for an update in 2013 and I will quite likely buy one when it is released.

I just listed some thoughts on the the Durango in another forum post. Bascially it is not as refined as the Explorer and has a couple of unacceptable issues (stereo and interior noise over bumps,etc. Our Michigan roads are in rough shape and the endless THUMP would drive me crazy.)

Most of my considerations were never really "Serious". I did test drive a new Ram right before I bought the EX. Other vehicles on my radar were:

Hyundai SantaFe
Hyundai Tucsan
Mazda C-X7
Mazda C-X9
Ford Edge
Ford F-150
Dodge Durango
Ram 1500
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Nissan Rogue
Toyota Tacoma

It was between the Flex and the Explorer. I wouldn't buy dodge/chrysler and I won't support Government Motors (GM).

My consideration set is a bit different...

Jeep Grand Cherokee (but decided needed 3rd row)
Volvo XC90
Acura MDX

The Acura was the closest competitor to the Ex, for us. But we went with the Ex.

Honda Pilot (We have a 2003 Pilot now)
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Highlander

That's pretty much it. We've always been Honda/Toyota/VW people. This will be our first Ford (assuming I ever actually get it). Hope we're not sorry.

2011 Acadia Denali
2011 Durango
2011 Acura MDX

BMW 3 series and X5
Cadillac CTS
Ford Edge

My original thought was sports coupe. I had a Mustang GT. Then I looked at the Ford Edge. I go to football games and travel and thought. I've never had an SUV. I decided I liked the design, safety ratings and fact Ford is made in the USA. I decided the Explorer was the best deal just $1,000 more than the edge. So far I love my decision.

My path was kind of different:

I needed a 6 passenger vehicle that could tow a trailer (utility), so my first couple of shopping/test drives were

Honda Odysey
Toyota Sienna (this would have been my first choice if I didnt go with the X)
Town and Country

but after a couple of months of not making up my mind, I stumbled across the X online and fell in love with it instantly. The test drive only confirmed it!

So mini-van to SUV..Ford not taking bail-out money was played a big factor in my choice too.

This is my 4th Explorer. Had a 2003, 2005 and a 2007.

1) I wanted an American product (this is my company car)
2) I considered a 2010 left-over Explorer
3) Did not test drive anything else
4) Test drove the 2011 Limited less than 2 miles
5) Only remotely considered a GMC Acadia

Third row of seats in an SUV was our primary goal (we just don't like minivans). We looked at the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, and the Ex. Highlander didn't have LATCH connectors in the third row so go eliminated. Pilot (Touring) felt like I was pushing it on the highway (in the Ex, I didn't realize I was going faster than I was in the Pilot until I looked). Also, Pilot redesign supposedly coming in 1Q2012, and plan to keep this car for 7+ years, so didn't want model envy less than a year after buying....

Pretty much the same... now that my daughter is older I was tired of driving the honda ody. I actually thought sedan but recently got into trail riding so thought maybe an suv... seat 7 in case I needed to and be able to use a hitch for bikes.

I really didn't care for the Pilot styling and thought Highlander had a clean look but still iffy on the suv idea. But then saw the X and the style really got my attention, liked the rated mpg since it was about the same as my mini so I can stomach it, a real usable 3rd row and the test drive pretty much convinced me... felt it a really smooth ride and quiet cabin and solid feel... and the MyTouch is pretty neat :)

And was able to stay in my budget range of low 30s... Silver Ingot XLT w/ 202A, black leather, power liftgate, trailer package, 20" polished and Nav sys.

Honda Pilot (We have a 2003 Pilot now)
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Highlander

That's pretty much it. We've always been Honda/Toyota/VW people. This will be our first Ford (assuming I ever actually get it). Hope we're not sorry.

For me it was between the Explorer and the Volvo XC90. (I've had both in the past)

Currently drive an MDX and ready for a change. We drove the VW Toureg and Tiguan, then the EX and that was it. We knew instantly that it was the car we wanted.

It was between the Flex and the Explorer. I wouldn't buy dodge/chrysler and I won't support Government Motors (GM).

+1

It was between the Edge and the Explorer. I wont buy Dodge/Chrysler and I wont support Government Motors (GM).

I seriously considered:

-Flex
-Highlander
-Odyssey/Sienna (well, these not as seriously)

I looked at everything that could hold seven passengers, though.

I probably would've gone with the Flex if the Ex turned out not to be an option. I like its quirky-ness.

I do like that I can proudly say that the Ex was built not far from where I live and has a high percentage of American-made parts.

Third row of seats in an SUV was our primary goal (we just don't like minivans). We looked at the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, and the Ex. Highlander didn't have LATCH connectors in the third row so go eliminated. Pilot (Touring) felt like I was pushing it on the highway (in the Ex, I didn't realize I was going faster than I was in the Pilot until I looked). Also, Pilot redesign supposedly coming in 1Q2012, and plan to keep this car for 7+ years, so didn't want model envy less than a year after buying....

Third row was a primary for us as well. Having just had our second child, even a 5 passenger vehicle leaves little room for luggage and toys for everyone. Third row gives you storage room on the trip, plus some extra seating if needed once you get to your destination.

We drove the Toyota Venza, as well as the highlander. We also drove the Acadia and the Edge. For better or worse the Ex was the first thing we drove and everything else seemed to pale in comparison.

Still undecided, looked at all mid-size three row SUVs (no Tahoe etc)

We want an adult usable 3rd row seat with at least a bit of cargo space behind - that eliminated a bunch of contenders like Toyota Highlander.

We want second row captains seats so child seats can go into second row and the third row is still accessible - that eliminated some more contenders like Mazda CX9.

We don't want anything on the bottom of Consumer's Reports reliability ratings - that eliminated Chrysler products, Mercedes and Audi Q7.

We are pretty much down to new Explorer and GMC Acadia / Chevy Traverse, as my wife does not like the Flex. I prefer Ford as a brand and like many features of the Explorer, but dislike options packaging that forces me into getting many items I don't want in order to get few options I do want. Also, the GMC/Chevy has a much roomier 3rd row seat.

Fortunately, as we don't need a new car right away, we can wait and see what model year 2012 and perhaps 2013 will bring before deciding.

We considered a bunch of them. Was looking for a good SUV, 7 seater was a 'nice to have'.

- Toyota Highlander (was a serious competition)
- Vovo XC60 (the 5 door one, liked it)
- Lexus R350 (hated the wood trim)
- Edge (actually went looking for Edge and found the X)
- Flex (wife vetoed this)
- Q5 (could not find one in the state to try out)

Did also look at Muranno and Pilot, but did not like either of them very much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back