Ouch - No 2nd row center console for '22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ouch - No 2nd row center console for '22

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH

Ford Authority has learned from sources familiar with the 2022 Ford Explorer launch that the second-row center floor console is no longer available.
The second-row center floor console provided a space for passengers to store their drinks and other items, such as phones, tablets, and books. However, this feature will no longer be present in the 2022 Ford Explorer, taking a little bit of extra storage away from second-row passengers in the Blue Oval crossover.

Well that's obnoxious, where are kids supposed to put their drinks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rear doors already have cup holders, anything thats not a double gulp or sports bottle should fit perfectly fine

The rear doors already have cup holders, anything thats not a double gulp or sports bottle should fit perfectly fine

I've never liked door cup holders. Lids don't always stay on tightly. Slam the door and sticky stuff everywhere :(

I already thought the rear seat cup holders and cubby looked extremely chintzy in the $50,000+ ST. Leaving nothing there, but bare floor... even chintzyer. It was in need of an upgrade, not elimination.

I've never liked door cup holders. Lids don't always stay on tightly. Slam the door and sticky stuff everywhere :(

This is exactly why Quetzalcoatl, in his infinite wisdom, invented sugar-free drinks. Slam all you want, still goes everywhere, but at least it's not sticky.

I already thought the rear seat cup holders and cubby looked extremely chintzy in the $50,000+ ST. Leaving nothing there, but bare floor... even chintzyer. It was in need of an upgrade, not elimination.
This is one of the reason why I love my second row bench seat haha You make a valid point tho regarding the door cup holders, soo far, never had that issue with the kids tho...

A ton of people were complaining regarding the low chubby and not having easy access to the 3rd row. Ford should've done this as an option and not eliminate it altogether

I wonder how hard it would be to adapt the second row console from the 5th gen explorers? They were optional and you can buy it from ford accessories.

I wonder how hard it would be to adapt the second row console from the 5th gen explorers? They were optional and you can buy it from ford accessories.

I found this video showing the console out of the vehicle.
It won't bolt up, but it looks like it may be able to be adapted to work.:dunno: I would like to see the dimensions.

Is there cup holders that come out of the center row console? Like where the USB ports are and heat/air control? Pretty sure my 2017 has that.

Just another cost cutting measure like the removal of standard roof racks. At a certain point the consumer says my $60,000 Explorer has been great but Im not paying more after you deleted these things and jacked up the price. On to the competition the consumer will go.

Just another cost cutting measure like the removal of standard roof racks. At a certain point the consumer says my $60,000 Explorer has been great but Im not paying more after you deleted these things and jacked up the price. On to the competition the consumer will go.
Yeah previously I didn’t really give it no mind. But the more I think about it, it’s a very silly removal. I have two kids and I am concerned where they’ll be able to put their drinks. And not spill them.

I know there are cup holders in the door. And from looking at pictures, it seems ford removed the cup holders that came out of the front row center console. It looks like it’s just a slot now? Kinda concerning for such a cheap plastic why they removed it.

That console should be available for purchase through part suppliers but it's ridiculous you're having to buy something that should be standard.

If I was buying new I would get dealer to buy it at his cost.

That console should be available for purchase through part suppliers but it's ridiculous you're having to buy something that should be standard.

If I was buying new I would get dealer to buy it at his cost.
Yeah, well I will say that I have read a lot of people complaining about the piece. And it seems like others cars don’t have that type of console. I was looking at the telluride, mainly cause it’s the most popular suv right now. And they don’t have a second row center console piece.

The more I read about the 21+ Explorers, the more glad I am to have gotten a "new" 2020 model and at a discount.

Usually the later models are better since it irons out the bugs but this time around, looks like the bugs stayed but the extra's left.

Usually the later models are better since it irons out the bugs............................................
I guess you never had a 5th gen.

Peter

I guess you never had a 5th gen.

Peter
I did actually, 2 of them. 2016 XLT and 2018 Sport. Never had any big issues with any of em. If you ask me, Sync 2 worked better than the dreadful slow buggy Sync 3 but thats just preference.

Back