Our New 2011 Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Our New 2011 Explorer

nice x u got

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JD-LIFT IT!! Heh Heh

Nice & New--Congratz. I think I need to see one in person, still not sure what to make of the style. Some parts remind me of Edge/4-Runner/Taurus/Tribeca/X5 etc.. In a good way.

JD-LIFT IT!! Heh Heh

Nice & New--Congratz. I think I need to see one in person, still not sure what to make of the style. Some parts remind me of Edge/4-Runner/Taurus/Tribeca/X5 etc.. In a good way.

Not only do you need to see one in person(I've seen 3 on the road this past week;)) but you need to also sit inside one. They are VERY nice, all I can say.

Since it's got a few hundred miles on it, I decided to hammer it coming up an on-ramp today. I will say it accelerates better than ANY stock Explorer I've ever driven or been in, and felt like it could have outpaced my '05 F-150 with the 5.4 . Pretty impressive for the size vehicle it is with the engine it has.

And no, it's not even close to my Mach 1 :D

I know this is late but congratulations. I just bought mine last week. I moved up from a 2010 Ford Edge Sport. However I lost some features I was not happy with. Navigation, Jukebox, Real time Traffic. Searching the forum now to see if the Current Head Unit with My Ford touch and "Sync Services" can be upgraded or Add navigation via the SD maybe add HD radio?? Hope my quest is fruitful.. lol... Again Congrats (belated) Love my Explorer XLT, AWESOME ride in the snow and quite capable in light off road duties.

Finally added my driving lights to the nose. Had a set of KC's on my F-150 that I took out before I traded it in. They were a little rusty, so KC replaced them under warranty (GREAT company to deal with!!). I had to fabricate some brackets to mount them, but Ford was nice enough to supply tapped thread inserts in the steel bumper in just the right locations to mount the brackets!!

Explorernose.jpg

Hey Jdraper, I noticed you don't have a front license tag holder. Did it come with your ex and you removed it or did you order it without one. Mine will have one but my state doesn't require front tags so I would like to remove it. Was it easy to remove? You have a nice looking ride there!

Hey Jdraper, I noticed you don't have a front license tag holder. Did it come with your ex and you removed it or did you order it without one. Mine will have one but my state doesn't require front tags so I would like to remove it. Was it easy to remove? You have a nice looking ride there!

Yes, mine came with a plate holder and yes I removed it. All I had to do was take a punch (a fine phillips screwdriver would work too) and punch out the center post of the two plastic rivets holding it in place. It popped right off after that. I then went to Advance Auto and bought two black plastic trim plugs and put them in, and I think it came out great .

Not bad!!! Looks like it was meant to be:D

They fit in perfectly. I was thinking I was going to have to drill the bumper support so I could mount the lights, but on both sides there are 3 Metric thread (M3 or M4) nuts swaged into the bumper support. Thankfully they are in just about the perfect spot to mount lights :)

I must say, that them there lights look pretty spiffy! :thumbsup:

Do you have them wired to the other ones?

Good looking Explorer, mine is ordered exactly the same except its FWD, 20" Wheels and the Grey interior, kicking myself the black looks great, just moved to Arkansas and some folks talked me into the lighter color...thanks for posting the pics, definitely reinforced the color choice for me! One question, I think I saw you had the tow package, how hard is it to remove the cover on the hitch? Is the 7 way already fully wired?

Love my 2011 Explorer, but I'm a bit disappointed that this vehicle does not have a storage cubby for a garage door opener and the rear lift gate window does not open.
Other than that, it's perfect!

I must say, that them there lights look pretty spiffy! :thumbsup:

Do you have them wired to the other ones?

Nope..They are wired to the high beams through a switch on my dash. With the switch on, they come on with the high beams, with the switch off, they don't.

Good looking Explorer, mine is ordered exactly the same except its FWD, 20" Wheels and the Grey interior, kicking myself the black looks great, just moved to Arkansas and some folks talked me into the lighter color...thanks for posting the pics, definitely reinforced the color choice for me! One question, I think I saw you had the tow package, how hard is it to remove the cover on the hitch? Is the 7 way already fully wired?

Hitch cover comes off pretty easily. Two twist lock pins and it pulls off. The 7 way is fully wired. There is a connector hidden up under the dash to the left of the steering column that you hook your brake controller to. It's wired the same way as an '05 F-150, so you can use the wiring harness for one of those. The F-150 harness has an extra wire for tying your brake controller to the dash lights (if your controller has one) that isn't present in the Explorer.

The reason to use the F-150 harness is because Ford says there is no harness available for the '11 Explorer. My dealer couldn't find one on the books, so they pinged corporate, and that was their answer. :rolleyes: I still had my controller out of my F-150 and it looked like the same connector, so I pinned out the connector under the dash and it matched. Plugged my controller in and it works.

Hey Justcynn, the hitch cover is pretty easy to remove, 15 to 20 seconds tops, you spin out two plastic spring set screws and then you have to pop out the plastic slips at the top, I think there are 4 of them. Hope you like the grey interior, my wife had to have black and now that we have it I am glad we did.

JD, I like the lights :)

Just got my 2011 XLT. Anyone found the Tow Brake Controller hook up yet? I need to transfer mine from my F150 to the Explorer.

Just got my 2011 XLT. Anyone found the Tow Brake Controller hook up yet? I need to transfer mine from my F150 to the Explorer.

See 3 posts above this (2 above yours) :)

My apologies- don't know how I missed that post, as I read the whole thread- LOL! At any rate, thx, that is good news, cause I am going to take mine off of my 2007 F150, so it should plug right in.
An interesting note for all you 2011 purchasers. I bought a loaded XLT, LOADED- and there is no garage door opener on the car! The dealer did not even know that it ONLY comes on the limited- which is ridiculous, considering all the other high tech stuff on mine- CAVEAT EMPTOR- LOL!

I know this is late but congratulations. I just bought mine last week. I moved up from a 2010 Ford Edge Sport. However I lost some features I was not happy with. Navigation, Jukebox, Real time Traffic. Searching the forum now to see if the Current Head Unit with My Ford touch and "Sync Services" can be upgraded or Add navigation via the SD maybe add HD radio?? Hope my quest is fruitful.. lol... Again Congrats (belated) Love my Explorer XLT, AWESOME ride in the snow and quite capable in light off road duties.

I'm sorry to say that Ford purposefully made the whole system different from the one with Nav and the one that's not despite both have Nav because they don't want people to add aftermarket Navs and use their MFT to the fullest. (I wanted to upgrade as well, I had many repair problems and dealership offered to add for free but the whole system was too different)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for posting these great pics. New to this forum. We are coming off an Edge lease and going to the Explore.

Just ordered basically the same vehicle (Color and everything) so it's nice to see this.

Also, love the PSU plate. My brother is a PSU grad and still goes up there to recruit for his company every year.

Back