Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
Surprize! :bounce:

I have a friend getting married July 4th in Colorado and I thought I would do a little wheeling after the wedding. Who would be interested in joining me?

I would like to drive the Alpine Loop on Saturday the 5th and have already made resv to camp out at Ridgway State Park for that night (the only place left to stay in the area; everything else is full). On Sunday morning the 6th I plan to leave Ouray and take Black Bear Pass over to Telluride and then shoot straight west to Moab and spend the night at Canyonlands Campground Sunday night. If I arrive in Moab around 5pm Sunday, that will be time to take an easy Gemini Bridges run or something similar that afternoon. Monday morning I want to run Cliffhanger if another modified or big dawg is available to go with me (or an easier fun run like Fins 'N Things), then I have to hightail it back home to South Carolina.

I want to run the Poughkeepsie Gulch portion during the Alpine Loop run, and it and Black Bear are considered difficult, so I'm not sure if a stocker would want to join, but I do believe that if you are stock you could do them. I can probably strap you over the big obstacle at the end of Poughkeepsie Gulch, and Black Bear isn't really that hard, just scary.

I hate to be a stickler for equipment, but if you want to join me this time I am going to insist that you have at least the "Required Items" per our Trail Equipment article. Please understand that I will be in a HUGE hurry a LONG way from home and I will HAVE to leave to get back home and will not have extra time to deal with an unequipped trail partner that held us up an extra day, miles from nowhere, if something goes wrong. I hope you understand.

Is anybody out there that could join me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is very tempting Gerald! I was planning a trip up to Ouray in late July but it would be good to wheel with you. Dont know if I would do Poughkeepsie but Black Bear is on my list. Was also planning on Corkscrew Gulch but you wouldnt have time for that the way it sounds. Still have to get my Explorer running better and get new tires if I am going to make the trip.

I would love to join you. Due to the Narcolepsey I wouldn't be able to do the long haul from Telluride to Moab, but give me some time And I'll see if I can get a copilot. I definatley want to run Alpine/ Poughkeepsie and Black Bear.

well dangit, I would love to make it, but I dont think I can, we will see!

:) It would be great to see you guys again! Mike, just the Colorado portion would be a great trip and I'm not sure how much time I'll have for Moab anyway. Brian, with good tires you could do Poughkeepsie. There's a very long stretch of steep shale that would swallow any 2wd but a stock 4wd wouldn't have any problem. There is one obstacle at the end that you probably wouldn't make, but it would not cause any body damage and would be an easy strap up. Marshall I know you're on the other side of Colorado but if you can make the effort it will be worth it!

:bounce: I'm pumped. Can anyone else make it?

Gerald, sorry but I can't make it. The fordtruckworld colorado chapter is having a huge meet July 4th-6th and since I am the president, gotta be there (plus my F-150 couldn't make any of those trails, LOL). However, if your in town and feel like hanging out for a while, we are having a big BBQ at my house on the 4th, going up Mt. Evans on the 5th... and 6th is All Ford Day at Bandimere Speedway. Your certainly mroe then welcome, as are the other explorer forum members.

That's too bad Matt. I wanted to see you do Black Bear's switchbacks in your F150
:roll:
....:redexp:
...... :roll:
......... :redexp:
.............:roll:
................ :redexp:
........................:roll:
:D

LOL yeah that'd happen!

Gerald, I am locked in the front so the last obstacle probably wouldnt be too bad. I dont know if I am going to be able to pull this trip off with all the things I have going. All of the places to stay are booked up? Did you try the hotel in Ridgeway? I guess I could camp near the ampitheatre.

Yep locked in front will get you up it; I didn't realize you had a front locker. I didn't check hotels, just camping, and the only campsites left were at Ridgway State Park. I could find nothing at all in Ouray. :(

Depending on how well we do timewise on the Alpine Loop, there may be time to go back via Corkscrew Gulch, do you think? Or not? We could play it by ear that day and see how it goes....

DOH!

....and then shoot straight west to Moab and spend the night at Canyonlands Campground Sunday night.

I just realized that is a very bad plan.... camping outside In Moab in July. I think I'll call the Silver Sage Inn and find a room that will be 50 degrees cooler than the outside temp that time of year, LOL.

But, sweat sleeping is a good way to lose weight. LOL

Gerald and Brian,
If either of you are interested you can stay up at my parents place in Colona (20 minutes north of Ridgeway). Actually there are two places, their old place (good place to pitch a tent, yet have a bathroom w/ shower available) or up at their current place where either of you could stay in their trailer or pitch a tent. Anyone else interested in joining is also invited to stay there. Let me know if you are interested so I can clear everything with my parents (I know they won't mind anyone staying there).

My 4th of July Moab trip was cancelled, we are doing Chinamens again instead. Gerald you are welcome to come (or anyone else for that matter). It is outside Buena Vista. It is pretty hardcore. My requirements for this run: I am not responsible for you and I dont own the run or the trail- bring what you want!!

Originally posted by mrboyle
Gerald and Brian,
If either of you are interested you can stay up at my parents place in Colona (20 minutes north of Ridgeway).

Thanks for the offer Mike. If I go that would be perfect, I could bring a tent no problem. I am still unsure as to if I can make it. At this point it is looking like I can't. I will definately let you know Mike if I do plan on comming. Thanks.

Anytime you are interested in coming to Colorado I can make arrangements for you to stay at their old place (that is until they decide to sell it, but that wont be for a long time). This offer is open to anyone as long as I have a few days notice. There is also room there to park a motorhome or trailer and hookups for water, sewer and electricity.

Thanks Mike, I already got a resv at Ridgway State Park and their cancellation fees aren't worth me changing, so I'll still be staying there. Thank you very much for the offer though.

Brian, I was looking at the book and if you can go, I think we can finish the Alpine Loop by exiting via Corkscrew Gulch instead of another route and I don't think it will add that much time to the trip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So is anyone still planning to go to Moab? Me and my dad are going to be down there during the 4th of July weekend so we could meet up with you GJarrett on Monday. I'm wanting to do Poison Spider if anyone is interested.

Back