Ouray, CO Labor Day Trip 8/29-9/1 2008 | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ouray, CO Labor Day Trip 8/29-9/1 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! That's some scenery! I'd love to go on a run with a lot of people, but any that are close enough to me don't work out for one reason or another. The biggest "run" I've ever been on is me and 2 friends around local areas.

Love looking at all the pictures though:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410, sorry you guys couldnt make it. Congrats!

Imogene teasers:

Attachments

• m_DSC03549.JPG
    m_DSC03549.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 319
  • m_DSC03555.JPG
    m_DSC03555.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 310
  • m_DSC03556.JPG
    m_DSC03556.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 311
  • m_DSC03559.JPG
    m_DSC03559.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 311

I am very thankful for Brian and Jim--
today-death was at our door and we laughed it away-

We were on that real rough leg right above the falls on Black Bear, and my brakes went awy-
I had to put it in park, and sit here for a minute.
I looked over at Ssmith and told her to get out
she said she didn't want to watch me go over, and she'd rather ride it out. Besides, we were against the cliff and there was no way to get out--

Ok you guys-I wasn't quite prepared for this-and didn't realize even in low range my idle pushes me thru the brakes-

Well, they got hot-and I could push them as hard as I could, but still roll about 5-6 feet.
now, going down that hill, with a 500 foot drop off on all sides.

I seriously contemplated leaving the mounty, right there. It was that bad.
But--no guts, no glory, so we went for it-
I experimented with neutral right at the last moment, gained control and went around the bend-

oh---anyone who knows the spot I am referring to will relate

So, we get down to the group-
I run up to Brian to tell my story of defying death-

Me" we almost died"
Brian, "so, you ready to go now"
ha ha

Josh-(SDVIKE)
is about nuts-he took a stock 3rd gen all they way down Black bear. he was actually teetering on 2 opposing wheels looking down a 1000 foot drop off. I mean, he was surely a goner without the help of Wakes8ter and her sport-
a tow strap dragged him completely sideways-as all other directions were death--

oh man--

I love Brians style, taking us up black bear first, then Imogene-

Because, if we'd done Imogene first, and told black bear was worse, we would have avoided it-

But now I can say I drove the Black bear, in a truck I built, and be proud.

I do want to drive Black bear again, but need to do a lot of work first-
until I get big big brakes--it is off limits.

And Again Brian, I must say thanks. Without your calm attitude, and vast knowledge I wouldn't even have attempted that trail. This has changed my life, and Sheri is now hooked for good--
How in the heck do you drive that thing so fast-???
Tequilla now, pics later-

OH,
I am having major overheat issues when trying to climb. I have had to pull off 4 times now to cool off. A high stall torque converter will not work for this stuff.

ok, one picture
proof of a 3rd gen on Black bear.

Attachments

• Black Bear Pass.jpg
    Black Bear Pass.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 315

^^drunk post-

The area where we almost lost it is called "the steps"

This is a steep grade, with big rocks, about 8-10 feet wide max with a vertical rock wall on the right, and a cliff on the left-toward the bottom it bends around the mountain to the right, with about a 300 foot drop off to the switched road below-where you would bounce and go another 1000 feet down the mountain. Once you are to this point you are 100 percent committed, there is no backing up, and turning around is impossible.

I have a lot to say about the fine friends I have met here-but right now we are going to ouray to shop for a while-as I am too sore to off road today-
we may meet up with Brian and dad at about 3:00 --

here's pics--

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff269/jtsmith1362/

I was not able to wheel with the group but I was present this morning for the free stuff and wanted to say thanks to all who made it possible and to Rick for the goodies and to Jon (sp?) for the plate frames. I'm planning on a run later today and possibly tomarrow morning also. I will post some pics from Yankee Basin when I get home.

Dayum I hate posting these:

We are not going to make this, instead we are going to the doctor

Now the good news:

yesterday I found out we are pregnant!
Holey moley!

My wife is RH- which means she needs an injection ASAP
We were planning to do this in abouta year, I guess the powers that be decided sooner was better!

Have fun I hate to miss this run, so needed a mini vacation

Wow!
Congrats Jamie!!
Say hi ti Julee for me!

Nice pics!

So Jon, now that you have had some real off-road time with the Silent Armors, how would you rate them?

BTW, I installed my AAL and cranked the t-bars today. Tires are coming soon! :D

Nice pics !!! The scenery is (of course) maaaavelous.

Today was overcast with light-moderate rain the entire day but that will not stop us! We actually drove in the clouds on a few occasions during the day. We ran Engineer and Cinnamon Pass with a lunch stop in Lake City. A few pics from today (Engineer Pass, Waterfall on Engineer Pass, and 2 of Cinnamon pass):

Attachments

• m_DSC03575.JPG
    m_DSC03575.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 271
  • m_DSC03573.JPG
    m_DSC03573.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 268
  • m_DSC03570.JPG
    m_DSC03570.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 277
  • m_DSC03565.JPG
    m_DSC03565.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 269

...Has anybody seen my Ranger and my dog...Both have been missing for 5 days...::(

...Has anybody seen my Ranger and my dog...Both have been missing for 5 days...::(

Dood, we've been wheeling with her all weekend. She's a great spotter--

HPIM3218002.jpg

:p:

P1010161.jpg

Great pics!! Looks like you guys had a blast out there:chug: Sorry we couldn't join you:(

Jamie, that's great news:D Boy you work fast;)

Jon, get your brakes fixed:eek: What a place for the brakes to give you problems:eek:

Looks like a great time! I'd still like to make it out there one of these years...

So was anyone even close to being as built as Marshall, or was he the only "Big Dog" of this run? Oh, and I'm talking about his truck... :p:

Great pics!

Were many other people out there for Labor Day weekend??

I see Ted is busy "working" pfffttt! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great pics!! Looks like you guys had a blast out there:chug: Sorry we couldn't join you:(

Jamie, that's great news:D Boy you work fast;)

Jon, get your brakes fixed:eek: What a place for the brakes to give you problems:eek:

Actually, what I figured out was my "crawl" is pushing thru my brakes-it's a tad too fast
After shifting to neutral for steep descents, the brakes worked fine--

I can't believe we drove on Black bear for our first wheeling adventure.:D I had only driven this truck on last dollar road before it--

Jamie's gonna be a daddy--how cool is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back