Ouray, CO Labor Day Weekend (CCR 07?) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ouray, CO Labor Day Weekend (CCR 07?)

As long as I can swing the gas $$, I may definately be able to make this.... Thanks for assuming the CO run duties Brian, since I botched planning a run (I think I might be outta the woods on layoff concerns at work now... Finally! :D ).

I'll have to see how expensive rooms are and see if anyone wants to work out combined accomodations... I might just camp depending on $. My buddy did opher in a stock 4runner and he's not really a 4-wheeler and he had a blast (after the 2 flat tires from that gnarly black rock :eek: ).

Douglas- glad you chimed in, I was going to send an email to you about this trip. Hope you can make it!

Funny thing about Ophir Pass. When I first did it in 2000 we got to the top and found a stock Honda Civic had driven up it just in front of us. He followed us down the other side too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, after I hinted around the idea of this run... my wife said if you want to go.... just GO! :cool: :thumbsup: So it looks like I'm cool as far as she's concerned.

Hokie... I'll have to research some and call the KOA (Brian listed) early this week to check on availability of a tent site.... it'd be a big help to save some $ and tent it.

Duh!! I forgot Brian posted the KOA website straight to the reservations practically!! Anyways, KOA looks to be $26 per night (with 2 adults) for a tent site and a 3 night stay minimum. They have available sites 8/31-9/3... so some of us will have to figure if this is a feasible working, I'll do my last check that I'm going for sure and make reservations later this week.

Mike, I finally got over my 'gun shy' feeling of breakage while wheeling and did Webster Pass and Red Cone with a buddy and his club of Rovers. ( I think I was just shy about wheelin' because I had wheeled for 6 years and never broke anything until Moab... all is good :D ;) ).

I asked him what I should do if the truck started to get away from me. He told me the best way to stop a run away was to turn into the mountain side, and let the friction of the paint being removed from my truck stop me. I guess it was better than the alternative which was a drop of several hundred feet into the valley below. My guide friend let me know that several times each year several greenhorns left their trusty 4X4s on the trail. After the long walk to town they hired him to retrieve their trucks. He also told me they had only lost seven vehicles over the edge that year but it was still early.

:eek:

Whoa - Will we be doing that part of the Black Bear Run?

I was there...7 years ago.......

This was one of the best runs I ever went on. Next to Moab that is. Anyway, the view is awesome. I'll never forget looking at Telluride as we came down from Black bear pass.

I'm booked this year, wakeboarding at Broken Bow lake, but next year I'll make plans to join if you do this again.

It will give me time to get my Early Bronco in better trail condition.

Thanks Rob

Glad you're going to join us Douglas! I will be tent camping at the KOA for the weekend.

:thumbsup: I'll bring my spare tie-rods (inner and outers) just in case ;) :D ... this just reminded me that I need to get a 21mm socket (not that I'll ever use it for anything but tie-rods!)

I'm really excited to do a 'much-touted' CCR!!!

I think putting it together at the last minute was the way to go Brian... have the impatience and excited anticipation is gone :D

subscribing with a hope in making it trying to find a house to buy is seriously limiting funds, but we shall see!

Houston we have a problem... I didn't know the football game was that same weekend

You're a transplant to CO, like me... it's just a football game not a lifelong rivalry! :D

Looks like Mike's got a spot and Brian will be in a hotel so anyone else can PM me if you want me to reserve a KOA spot for us (depending on number of people) to share and we can see about travel plans for a caravan if it works :)

You're a transplant to CO, like me... it's just a football game not a lifelong rivalry! :D

Looks like Mike's got a spot and Brian will be in a hotel so anyone else can PM me if you want me to reserve a KOA spot for us (depending on number of people) to share and we can see about travel plans for a caravan if it works :)

Screw it - I'm in

I was reading my Colorado 4x4 guidebook last night and it said "If you only get the chance to go off-road one time in Colorado, Ouray is where you want to do it."

I'll be interested in camping. I've got a tent or I can just sleep in the back of the truck (if i don't bring the mtn bike)

Oh, and I'd be interested on a caravan too. I'll be on CB channel 25 ;)

Oh man I wish I could make it to this... I need to get off my butt and get back to work on the Explorer... Need to get that SAS done or at least get a good front pumpkin in my truck... This probably isn't something I should try to run in 2wd...

If I can get off from work, I'm definitely interested. I'm also looking at camping out. I have a buddy with a Jeep(yes...a jeep), who might also tag along.

Question: My rig runs on open diffs and stock gears. How difficult are the trails??? I'm still a greenhorn, and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Well, I'm open diffs as well (I have a tempermental factory L/S which I'm thinkin' isn't engaging anymore), with 4.10's and I'm not too worried about the trails being too difficult. Driver skill and a shorter wheelbase than me will suit you well (I'm @ 126+ inch wheelbase... which will play hell on the switchbacks ;) :D ). You should be fine :thumbsup: Try to make it if you can.

edit; You've got a sport on 33's?! You should really be ok!

I'm @ 126+ inch wheelbase... which will play hell on the switchbacks ;) :D

Can't wait to see becker going down Black Bear ;)

(Of course I'm probably going be close to crapping my pants when I try to navigate my Mounty down it)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't wait to see becker going down Black Bear ;)

It will be interesting, and I'm stoked that Brian put this together! :thumbsup:
A Buddy of mine went down to Montrose last night and he's leading some Rovers through Black Bear today... so I should have a current trail report to reference what it is like right now. :D

Back