Ouray, CO Labor Day Weekend (CCR 07?) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ouray, CO Labor Day Weekend (CCR 07?)

Mike, when are you planning on getting to the KOA?

I plan to get there sometime in the late afternoon/ early evening. All depends on how long it takes me to get everything ready and on the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crap, SNAFU #2 now

So I knew my exhaust was on its way out. Well, my rattling has now become a broken tail pipe hanging under my truck. The weld after the muffler has completely rusted/broken away and now the pipe is hanging down, just waiting to get hung up on a rock.

I've been planning on getting a new exhaust and now I have the excuse, but I don't know if I'll have time to get it fixed in the next 2 nights.

From everything I've heard, its not safe to run with your exhaust dumping under the truck.

So... 6 hour road trip + 2 days of wheeling while sucking CO and other nasty exhaust fumes = dangerous/bad idea?

:dunno:

If you end up going to some place to have it fixed until you can get it completly redone, you should hit up collins muffler in Loveland...I asume it would be a small price if you just wanted to get it fixed. I went there for my magnaflow muffler dual in/dual out, got it done quick and looks very good and sounds good too but I can't wait to drop the rear cats and add my tips :( hopefully this weekend (possiblly with the 4406 swap also) anyways the muffler was like 120 and including that total cost was around 340 so 220 for 2.25" duals and labor

I personally wouldn't have my exhuast dump under my truck cause when you are going slow or stopped you can smell it real nice :fart:

Well... personally I would see if its feasible to get an (extended) turn-down tip (source one yourself maybe... when I did it the three muffler shops I contacted wanted $28-$45.... like I need chrome :confused: ) from anywhere and see if they'd weld it pointed down but at a 45 degree angle as close to the side and rear leafs as possible. I'm not sure if this is possible as I have the SOHC and got it dumped at a 45 toward my pax side leaf springs.

With a little lift off the pavement I never noticed exhaust fumes... but I have a bed back there not an enclosed cabin... not too mention my unfamiliarity with the mounty V8 exhaust. Shoot MountaineerGreen an email or PM and Evan is almost sure to have advice that'd help you directly. :thumbsup: He's an awesome guy and a technical MacGyver :D .

I personally wouldn't have my exhuast dump under my truck cause when you are going slow or stopped you can smell it real nice :fart:

Smell, I can handle

Falling asleep (and maybe worse) from Carbon Monoxide poisoning, I can't handle

With 32's and the lift you have... depending on how you do it, I think you could get it to dissipate fast, depending on how long you sit in traffic (alternative fuels guy... shouldn't you be hoofin' it to class and saving the real fuel for wheelin' :D ?).

Hug a tree, and just don't sleep in your truck with the motor running and the exhaust dumping below you. :thumbsup: Which are probably always good advice.

two words: Duct Tape :D:D:D

Yeah my exhaust is breaking too except the pipe coming out of the muffler is breaking right at the muffler body. Maybe it will break this trip then I will warranty it. I dont think I will ever buy a Dynomax system again :thumbdwn:

(alternative fuels guy... shouldn't you be hoofin' it to class and saving the real fuel for wheelin' :D ?)

I do - I ride my bike to campus every day

But i'm worried about this weekend now that the exhaust decided to give away

So... 6 hour road trip + 2 days of wheeling while sucking CO and other nasty exhaust fumes = dangerous/bad idea?

:dunno:

We're back in bidness!!

Went to the muffler shop up the road that our lab takes all of our exhaust work too. I was told to ask for "Toad" (his shirt literally says "Toad" on the name tag) and tell him that I work at the CSU engines lab. I explained my predicament and he worked late and got a dual 2.5" in/single 3" out Dynomax Super Turbo welded in for me :)

I decided to be a socially responsible citizen and not remove the secondary cats.

The dynomax has a nice low, deep, mellow rumble. I wouldn't mind it be a little louder or throatier, but it hasn't broken in yet, so I might take that back.

Most important thing, I can safely drive down to Ouray and wheel with you guys!

Oh, and Doug if I can finish up my research paper tomorrow, I think I can skip class on friday. Where do you want to meet in Devner to caravan?

You guys are gonna have a stupendously great time. I truly wish I could join you, but Life and Distance prevent me from coming. That area is the favorite for Ashli and I (we even named our dog "Durango" - but only because "Ouray" would have sounded too weird for a dog's name, LOL).... Brian if you get this going again as a yearly CCR run like the old days *hint* we WILL make sure we plan ahead and schedule this for next year :thumbsup:

Enjoy yourselves!

Please-
If it is possible to get a date set a bit earlier?

two words: Duct Tape :D:D:D

I'm not positive (remember I was enlisted :thumbsup: :D :p: ), but I'm not sure about the effectiveness of Duct Tape on hot exhaust pipe? You're the Academy guy and that's your input?!! :D :D Hope to see you up wheelin' with us Jeff... Go Air Force, I hope you guys win the first one! :thumbsup:

We're back in bidness!!
Oh, and Doug if I can finish up my research paper tomorrow, I think I can skip class on friday. Where do you want to meet in Devner to caravan?

Dude... awesome man... I can meet anywher in the south Denver area... actually since we need to take the 285 out.... I don't where would be easy enough to meet up. But, I can meet anytime in the afternoon (I'm having lunch with my daughters at their school in Littleton on that side of town...).

I'm glad you got your exhaust squared away. If or when Jeff (flyboycoe) wheels with us in Ouray... explain the dynamics of exhaust, welding, and supplemental (other) uses for duct tape.... take your time with him though, he's an academy guy :D :D

Please-

We used to simply plan for it on Labor Day weekend just like this one this year. It gives an extra day of vacation to those of us that had to drive a long way to get there. I can tell you right now that we'd LOVE to come back to Ouray again, and if anyone is interested in wheeling the Ouray area next Labor Day 2008 we'll meet them there. Is one year's notice earlier enough to plan for? :D

Dude... awesome man... I can meet anywher in the south Denver area... actually since we need to take the 285 out.... I don't where would be easy enough to meet up. But, I can meet anytime in the afternoon (I'm having lunch with my daughters at their school in Littleton on that side of town...).

According to Google Maps there's a Conoco Break Place gas station just south of of 285 at the intersection of W Bowls Ave and W-470. Wanna meet there, say, 1 ish?

I'll give you a call tonight so we can square things away.

Attachments

• conoco temp.JPG
    conoco temp.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 265

Please-

Yes, see Geralds reply

We used to simply plan for it on Labor Day weekend just like this one this year. It gives an extra day of vacation to those of us that had to drive a long way to get there. I can tell you right now that we'd LOVE to come back to Ouray again, and if anyone is interested in wheeling the Ouray area next Labor Day 2008 we'll meet them there. Is one year's notice earlier enough to plan for? :D

Sounds good to me. It has been on Labor day weekend the past 7 years so it is safe to say it will be on Labor Day weekend next year too :D I dont mind returning to Ouray next year too, those trails are so nice, scenic and fun there that I dont get tired of them.

You lucky, lucky LUCKY bums..! I'm subscribing in the hopes of seeing many pictures once y'all get back from the Rockies. I'll be thinking of you guys while us easterners are puttering through the Poconos for our Labor day run ;)

Yes, see Geralds reply

Sounds good to me. It has been on Labor day weekend the past 7 years so it is safe to say it will be on Labor Day weekend next year too :D I dont mind returning to Ouray next year too, those trails are so nice, scenic and fun there that I dont get tired of them.

Well, Sheri cleared it with her boss--
They usually take vacation "next week" , however they moved to a new office last week, and they used that for vacation week, (although everyone still moved the office-salary pay, all that good stuff ).
anyway-next year--we aill DEFINITELY have the time. Money? who knows?

Please--pics of everyone by the imogene pass marker--I have a thing for the spot.
The view from up there is--just it.

Please--pics of everyone by the imogene pass marker--I have a thing for the spot.
The view from up there is--just it.

Will try to. You want us to kick the Jeeps out for the pic so it is just Explorers/Sport Tracs? :D

I'm subscribing in the hopes of seeing many pictures once y'all get back from the Rockies.

I will try to update w/pics in the evenings since I will have wireless internet access so stay tuned

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Woo Hoo!

Well, when I logged in tonight I still wasn't sure about whether or not I was going to make the monetary sacrifice to do this trip (since I won't be wheeling on Saturday anyway). But reading more posts and having fond memories of wheelin' trips past, I've decided this is too good to over look. So...

I will be rolling out of C-Springs as soon as the Air Force football game is over. I'll probably get the truck and supplies ready tomorrow night. Chances are that I will roll into Ouray pretty late, 9pm or so (that's 2100 hrs Douglas ;) ) on Saturday night. Set up camp and be ready to wheel Sunday morning, and Monday if anybody wants to. And my buddy who was gonna bring his j**p isn't gonna make it, so it should be just us 'splorers.

For the record: there is nothing that you can't fix with duct tape or WD-40 and a BFH. If the tape burns thru on your "hot" exhaust, then you didn't add enough layers.

Back