Ouray, CO Labor Day Weekend (CCR 07?) | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ouray, CO Labor Day Weekend (CCR 07?)

He'll mention the rest but suffice to say he got to see him to.

The bear was 15-20' max from where Doug was initially standing.

He woke me up, I get my headlamp on, sure enough, there is a black bear just past the fire ring. Looked like a really, really big black lab. Kinda hung out and looked at our two headlamps for a bit and then started walking (down towards mrboyle's camp spot).

After further discussion, I decide I want a closer look, throw on my shoes, jump out of the truck and try to get Doug to go try and find it with me. He didn't seem too interested and the bear was long gone. Oh well.

It was the first bear that I had seen in the wild ~ I thought it was cool :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Beautiful!!

Looks like Hokie has a new avatar
attachment.php

With 4.10's, the 4406 in Low and the tranny in 1st, the Mounty just waltzed right up that :)

man looks awesome glad everyone had such a good time, like I said before
It is my personal mission to put together a CCR08 next year like the ones that first got me into this madness/wonderful thing that is wheelin, and the X board. My first run was on a 3"bl with 33's without that run my truck would never have become what it is today! I WILL make a big ccr08!

I hope to be there for the 08 run, Cause it looks amazing...I mean even prior to all of your pictures I was looking at some online and WOW! So it seems like the 4406 worked its magic....I just got the last part to my swap the other day...Can't wait to get that thing installed, I might hit up hokie on some freetime and come up to ft collins and check out his mounty/4406 swap prior to installing mine

Our free time for next year was set in stone today!!!
This piece of junk will be on them mountains next year--

Right on :thumbsup: I really have to say, that for the scenery alone (in addition to some great 4-wheel time ;) ) I would say that this area is a must see & wheel, similar to the stigma that surrounds a Moab experience.

Now I know why the CCR was so famous back in the day when I first joined the board. :) :)

Jt, When you say "This piece of junk will be on the mountians next year" Can I ask what that so called "piece of junk" you are referring to is?
Cause if you are talking about the mounty, Then I would like to know what is considered a "piece", your mounty is STUNNING so please tell me you weren't talking about that "piece"

Jt, When you say "This piece of junk will be on the mountians next year" Can I ask what that so called "piece of junk" you are referring to is?
Cause if you are talking about the mounty, Then I would like to know what is considered a "piece", your mounty is STUNNING so please tell me you weren't talking about that "piece"

ha you haven't seen it--
pictures lie my friend. The paint is bad-and I have 4 spots on the body which have been addressed-but need to be sanded flush.
I think that means trail ready--no?

The paint is bad??? I thought it was powdercoated...lol

Well I guess brings an end to the JtSmith Street or Lift it debate...

On your way to Ouray, you want to pass by my place since I am northeren, CO and we can just meet up and go...Ok maybe it is a bit early to start making plans, We can talk more about this trip in about 11 months or so...:D

So it seems like the 4406 worked its magic....I just got the last part to my swap the other day...Can't wait to get that thing installed

Words cannot describe it. The smile's on FlyBoeCoe's and my faces in the pics can. The manual 4406 with a V8 is awesome!

I might hit up hokie on some freetime and come up to ft collins and check out his mounty/4406 swap prior to installing mine

Man, I'm in grad school. Free time is my job ;) You're welcome anytime! My mod list for the Mounty got longer on my way back from Ouray. Within the next month or two I hope to complete an SOA, sliders, belly/engine skid, front/radiator skid, front tow hook mounts, mount my KC's behind the grille... oh and the TM Headers + phenolic spacer!

O man, Can't wait to see all that!

Beautiful views in those pictures, guys.... I hope someday I can make it out to a CCR run, but by the sound of it I'm going to be wishing I had a v8 and 4406 ;) So did y'all run any technical obstacles on these trails?

Us easterners went straight for the hard stuff on Labor day :D (Glad I don't have any pictures of me stuck in 4 feet of mud though :p: )
0903071119a_Small_.jpg

So did y'all run any technical obstacles on these trails?

Black Bear was the worse that it got. There were some tight and technical sections, but as Brian said, we were too busy driving those (and not rolling thousands of feet down into Telluride) to take pictures. We also found some spots to play around near the top of Imogene. mrboyle climbed right up this one rock face that Jeeps on 37's were trying to play around on :thumbsup:

Technical!!! What the?

These trails will scare the living **** out of you--seriously.
There are areas where it literally looks, and feels like you are floating in mid air-half a mile or more straight up a cliff-I am not exaggerating one little bit.
The road is so narrow in spots-the body of your truck is over the edge. You look down and can't see the road at all, and there is no hint of a guard rail.You just look ahead and hope you have a vehicle to follow--

Adrenaline will flow--believe me.:thumbsup:

I was wearing my heart rate monitor watch, but I didn't have the chest strap with me. It would've been cool to see what my peak HR was going down Black Bear. There were definately times where I was trying to breath as slow and steadily as possible to keep calm/level headed ;)

Technical!!! What the?

These trails will scare the living **** out of you--seriously.
There are areas where it literally looks, and feels like you are floating in mid air-half a mile or more straight up a cliff-I am not exaggerating one little bit.
The road is so narrow in spots-the body of your truck is over the edge. You look down and can't see the road at all, and there is no hint of a guard rail.You just look ahead and hope you have a vehicle to follow--

Oh wow, it's that narrow?? :eek: Do people ever roll off of these trails?

(And Mike showing up Jeeps is becoming a regular occurance. Jeff probably remembers the amazed gawking of the built rigs on Fins & Things when Mike was showing them up ;) )

The Forest Ranger we talked to said they hadn't had a fatality on Black Bear since 2004 and that they're trying very hard to keep it that way. (Somehow, that still wasn't very re-assuring as I was trying to make it down)

(And Mike showing up Jeeps is becoming a regular occurance. Jeff probably remembers the amazed gawking of the built rigs on Fins & Things when Mike was showing them up ;) )

I saw some photos of an early Bronco doing Black Bear. The husband was outside taking pics of the group as his wife drove the EB. She was trying to hug the mountain wall as closely as she could. Well she got a bit too close and started to climb the mountain wall with the drivers side of the truck. She ended up flipping it. When it came to a rest, the top of roll cage was right at the edge of the trail. She walked down the rest of the way, while her husband drove down:D

Looks like you guys had a great time!! Glad to hear you enjoyed the run:thumbsup: :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found these on another site. It gives an interesting perspective:D

black5.jpg

blacke.jpg

Back