Out with the old, in with the new. New to me Ex V8 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Out with the old, in with the new. New to me Ex V8 Limited

A.J.C.

Reaction score
City, State
Kennesaw, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Limited V8
I had a 2000 Explorer Limited V6 SOHC with nothing wrong with it. After lurking the this forum, I figured I was on borrowed time with the SOHC engine so I began to look for a different one. I knew I wanted another limited but with the v8. I found one for $1800 and picked it up. Its in excellent shape except for a dent in the rear fender.

Mods include 2" lift and bigger tires. I'll update my thread as my mods progress.

1998 Explorer Limted, 150k miles.
DADF7379-E255-4E0D-AF05-A27C32F2715B_zpsptuqqvgu.jpg

B131F75C-A3C8-4896-ABB6-7327AC888F2C_zps8cjwbvlq.jpg

Old 2000 Ex Limted v6:
5929DA83-C2A1-496D-B52A-11B60B73D9F1_zpsr3xnyst6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First mods complete: Replaced key pad with newer style one. It is plug and play and looks better because the buttons are not worn through. I do need to paint the plastic to match the door color.
C07923AE-D445-4C32-A042-84F4A13D7BCC_zpshxjuhdxw.jpg

Second mod: Replaced factory stereo with non functional display with one from a 2000 Lincoln Continental with the factory Alpine system. The wiring harness was plug and play and everything works including the 6 disc changer, steering wheel controls, and rear subwoofer. Its a nicer looking stereo and sounds greats. I did have to dremel around the radio to get it to fit in the stock location.
9854A71B-D120-4816-8DA3-5350A6DB0A1D_zpsmjmrlkxw.jpg

Total cost of mods:
$14 for radio
$4 for key pad.

You have to love pull a part.

Total cost of

2" TT and shackle lift with 265/76/16 BFG AT.
28869ACB-3A9B-48FE-A492-9409511FAA64_zps4nizazdi.jpg

28191EF0-F5A8-40F3-AA4E-151CA967011A_zpsdwz46v8n.jpg

My old explorer did have a unique color but it had too many miles and the interior was not in the best shape. My new explorer may get worse gas mileage but I love the rumble of the 5.0. Plus, one of my best friends bought an ex with 5.0 and I could not let him make fun of my 6 cylinder haha.

Today I installed an XM radio receiver but I'm not sure if I like the place its mounted in. What do you guys think? Eventually, I'm thinking about installing a double din touch screen Pioneer stereo but I don't want to lose the steering wheel controls. I will have to look into adapters so the new stereo will work with the stock steering wheel controls.
3AA7D42F-8BFB-4023-82B8-871383A8DBFE_zpsdplcectu.jpg

D654CBCD-139F-4449-9628-83419AFE5F1B_zpsld9nnpub.jpg

I think my next mod will be the addition of heated seat elements. My old ex and BMW had heated seats and once you're spoiled by them, it is hard to go back. I'm going to make a trip to the local pull a part and find a ford with the heated seats and pull everything I need.

Here is a sat receiver mount idea I've seen.

If you find some limited seats with bad covers but good seating elements you could just put your covers on those too.

Attachments

• attachment-3.jpeg
    attachment-3.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 435

Here is a sat receiver mount idea I've seen.

If you find some limited seats with bad covers but good seating elements you could just put your covers on those too.

I can really appreciate the time, effort, and workmanship that went into completing that set up. With that said, I don't have the patience to modify the radio bezel. The Pioneer double din stereo I will be acquiring will have all the necessities I need. It has bluetooth, xm, and iPod controls.

The xm receiver I installed is temporary and I think the double din will be much cleaner.

The plan is to find limited seats. Pretty much all the leather seats at the junk yard are very worn so that should not be an issue.

If there are any Remote Controlled Car fans, check out my Traxxas Slash mods thread. I have only installed led lights so far. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435669

You'll love the double din. Here is mine - a Kenwood DDX9902s with Apple Car Play and Android Auto I just completed.

I can really appreciate the time, effort, and workmanship that went into completing that set up. With that said, I don't have the patience to modify the radio bezel. The Pioneer double din stereo I will be acquiring will have all the necessities I need. It has bluetooth, xm, and iPod controls.

The xm receiver I installed is temporary and I think the double din will be much cleaner.

The plan is to find limited seats. Pretty much all the leather seats at the junk yard are very worn so that should not be an issue.

If there are any Remote Controlled Car fans, check out my Traxxas Slash mods thread. I have only installed led lights so far. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435669

Attachments

• 20150929_162059.jpg
    20150929_162059.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 432
  • 20150929_200208.jpg
    20150929_200208.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 417
  • 20150929_200812.jpg
    20150929_200812.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 424

Oh, one more thing. There is a common flaw (in at least the limited heated seats) that causes them not to work. The thing is it is a very easy fix. I just fixed mine. Here is the thread that explains how to fix it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301352

The double din installation looks awesome. I have been following and admiring your progress with the installation of the Saleen hood and spoiler. Keep up the awesome work. I'm thrilled to see people are still breathing life into these older Explorers.

I'm well aware of the Explorer heated seat element issues. I nearly burned my butt off before fixing them in my old Limited. It should have been a recall because it is a fire hazard!

The double din installation looks awesome. I have been following and admiring your progress with the installation of the Saleen hood and spoiler. Keep up the awesome work. I'm thrilled to see people are still breathing life into these older Explorers.

I'm well aware of the Explorer heated seat element issues. I nearly burned my butt off before fixing them in my old Limited. It should have been a recall because it is a fire hazard!

Thank you. Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours as well!

Thanks! I ended up ordering this heated seat kit. I figured for the price, It is a better option than finding some at the junk yard. They should be here on Saturday. I will document the installation process.
0Shot%202015-10-29%20at%203.22.29%20PM_zpsvuzp4v7u.png

Heated seats are in
4B50D55A-52C5-4090-AAB3-E3EC26F031E7_zpso2z3jnkw.jpg

Explorer party

C7E88A6F-A7A8-46F2-BDDC-1863CE3C8A2A_zps9ufn1beo.jpg

How do you like the heated seat inserts? I just bought the same ones, but to put into my 88 F350 with custom leather 40/20/40 seats.

BTW, based on your post about installing the Lincoln/Alpine system, I found one to replace my broken display original, and it works perfectly, even bringing the CD changer back to life (even though I will likely never use it!).

I like the the heated seats so far. I just hope they last!

I'm glad the Alpine stereo out of the Lincoln worked out well. Its a cheap alternative and retains all the stock functions which is great!

Nice Limited, good work making it yours. Did that come with those 99-01 wheels, or did you ask? The 96-98 had a 15" wheel I rarely see.

I still have the 99 dark grey Limited seats from my 99, I never ended up needing them(liked the 93's better).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer had the 15" limited wheels when I bought it. I switched the wheels from my old Explorer before I sold it.

Back