Outer Window Moldings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Outer Window Moldings

tiresmoke

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
I noticed that, on both sides of my 2012, the window trim on the rear doors is starting to bend up in the back end. I can push it down, but it pops back up. Has anyone else noticed this? My dealer is ordering two new pieces for me under warranty, but I'm wondering if this is a chronic problem that means the new pieces will eventually pop up, too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had both of mine replaced last September, first one last August flew off the vehicle, dealer ordered two new ones. Waxing car tonight, noticed right one curving up again.

That's kind of what I'm afraid of. Hopefully Ford will modify the part in the near future. I'm wondering if this will have to be replaced numerous times under warranty over the lifespan of the vehicle.

That's kind of what I'm afraid of. Hopefully Ford will modify the part in the near future. I'm wondering if this will have to be replaced numerous times under warranty over the lifespan of the vehicle.
I'm not really sure what you are referring to. Is it that black rubber moulding on the outside (window sill)? If so, mine are good.
In any case any basic warranty coverage only lasts as long as 3 years or longer depending on the term of the ESP.

Peter

I'm not really sure what you are referring to. Is it that black rubber moulding on the outside (window sill)? If so, mine are good.
In any case any basic warranty coverage only lasts as long as 3 years or longer depending on the term of the ESP.

Peter

Yes, the outside. I guess I shouldn't have phrased it as "lifespan of the vehicle"... I tend to keep cars only about a year or two longer than the warranty lasts before I trade it on something new. Of course, is there some kind of leeway that is given to parts that were very recently replaced before the warranty expired?

Yes, the outside. I guess I shouldn't have phrased it as "lifespan of the vehicle"... I tend to keep cars only about a year or two longer than the warranty lasts before I trade it on something new. Of course, is there some kind of leeway that is given to parts that were very recently replaced before the warranty expired?
On all the invoices I have, there is a statement indicating that where genuine Ford parts are used, there is a 1 year or 20,000 km (12,500 mi) warranty, whichever comes first. I'm not sure if that is the same as in the U.S.

Peter

I know this has been the way it was with Chrysler and my former Jeep Liberty (which was a mechanical nightmare, BTW).

Let's just hope that these things stay in place and the whole thing is moot. :thumbsup:

I've been a lurker of the forum for the past couple of months deciding on whether or not to buy the new explorer. And finally decided to pull the trigger and bought our new 2013 explorer and had it shipped to the dealership. We did the inspection and everything looked fine. There was 1 issue with the top seal in the window on the back driver side passenger door that was fixed very promptly. Over the last 2 weeks, the outer moldings have "raised" away from the body just over an 1/8th of an inch on the driver side and back passenger side doors along with the vent windows seals that have moved well over a 1/4 of an inch. Is this normal?

I took it in to the dealer who sent the request to Ford who denied the claim saying it was in specs. After talking with Customer Care, I've learned that the specs are not out yet for the 2013 model....really??. Anyone know the specs on the gaps of the outer window moldings of the 2013 Explorer?

Has anyone had this happen to them? If you did, what was your resolution?

The dealer keeps saying that 95% of the Explorers on the lot have this, so there is no issue, but if I bought it when the moldings were set correctly, doesn't that show they are moving? He couldn't tell me the condition the other explorers on the lot came in as. But that was also Fords response. If they all have it, its not an issue. Definitely not an acceptable answer.

It really cannot be correct that the molding is allowed to move that much and pull away from the body panels.

#### Updated with pics. They may be hard to tell from. Black on black is hard to show:)
http://imgur.com/a/6YTdY/all
####

#### Update 2:
Got a call back from customer care escalation Melvin. He repeated the same line. Since the dealership says 95% of the explorers on the lot have some of the same issues as mine, ford is sticking by it's stance that it is in allowable standards.

Doesn't that seem wrong to any of you? I would have expected a more technical answer regarding ACTUALLY measurements, not just well they mostly all have it, so it's correct. I call straight BS on that. I did send a PM to the FordCustSrvc on the forum asking if there are other avenues.

Anyone else have ideas on how to get an answer?

####

Update 3:
Got a call from a Customer Care supervisor who stated that my concerns are valid, but at this time, based on what the dealership says, the case is closed and Ford stands behind their decision. I did get them to concede that the denial was based on normal characteristics shown by other Ford Explorers and not because of a specification of tolerance on the gaps between the body panel and window molding. The dealership will not measure the gap and are the only ones with the ability to converse with Ford Engineers. This whole situation has become so overly complicated. I had asked the dealership to measure the gap so they would send it the engineers who could look up in a reference book and have a quantifiable measurement in which to compare against. I understand if those tolerances are proprietary, all they have to do is say it is within the specification range so you're not seeing an issue or it is outside of our range and you have a valid claim so it will be fixed. Common sense sometimes is hard to find.

I am not giving up this issue until I have a definitive answer.

"...I should tell you that I once spent two-and-a-half hours on the Hewlett-Packard support service just to complain about their support service." - Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

####

I would love to hear your feedback!

Thanks,
Matt

Can you provide photos w/o too much trouble?

Second on the request for photos, then we can really let you know how out of place, yet within spec. ours are.

Looking at those pictures, that doesn't seem okay to me. It never ceases to amaze me what a manufacturer will call 'normal' in order to avoid fixing something. I would stay on them about this one. Out of curiosity, did you try pressing the molding back into position? I was wondering if it pops back out on its own, or if it just doesn't lie flat when you try to get it back into position.

I did try to do that, but they bounce back to the same spot. The vent windows won't even budge to the body. Seems like misaligned molding that could be easily fixed if they would listen to what I am saying. The other issue I think that needs to be addressed is that if the molding is moving, is that supposed to happen? I haven't seen any other cars out there that say it''s allowable. Also, I thought I read in these forums there was a TSB on moldings for older ranger or explorers, can't remember, will have to do a search again.

I just went and checked my 2013 and its not doing that. I bought it back in August.

In your photos it almost looks like the rubber is shrinking up. Dumb question, but has the temperature where you live changed a lot recently?

There was a cold snap a week or so back, which is when I noticed it. Outside of that, it's been in the 60's.

rear pass. window trim-look normal?

...before I wash the car again, this is how the rear passenger trim looks on both sides of the car,

is this normal?

Thanks

trim sitting normal

sitting normal

barely touching it

That's how mine fits as well, not very well in my opinion.

My driver's side is flush and tight while the passenger's side has a slight opening. It show a bit more open now since I lifted it a little. I don't think it is anything to really be concerned about as far as a seal goes. It is only the rubber covering.

Peter

Attachments

• P5010078a_1.JPG
    P5010078a_1.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,520
  • P5010077a_0.JPG
    P5010077a_0.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,547

...before I wash the car again, this is how the rear passenger trim looks on both sides of the car,

is this normal...

Hi LukerDooker,

If you're concerned, I recommend bringing this to the attention of your dealership so they can get it documented and inspected. Let me know what you hear back; if you need any assistance from me, send a PM my way.

Thanks!

Crystal

Yes, going in for 1st (early) oil change soon, will be looking at this.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the heads up - will have to check the wife's sport out for that....
(as I rarely get to drive it :) )

Back