"Outside Engine Bay" Cold Air Intake Build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Outside Engine Bay" Cold Air Intake Build

xploder98

Reaction score
City, State
Hemet, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Saleen xp8 #27
The plan is to build a new intake system from the MAF on. I'll be building a new air box and using 3" Polished Aluminum Pipe. From there I wanna run a 3" pipe towards the grille and next to the side of the fan shroud. With the result being a tube from the very left oval of the grille (98 Sport grille) to the air box. A hole will have to be cut next to the fan shround but there should be enough metal that it should be fine. I also plan on wrapping the tubing in InsuWrap and building a larger box without a bottom and with 2 U shaped cut outs to Slide over the nex box and tubing. This outerbox will be packed and lined with insulating material. Should make for some Ice cold air into the engine :) I will post pics of where I'll be cutting the hole and putting the new pipe tomorrow. Lemme know what you guys think

This age old debate never dies. Do yourself a favour. Get a Scangauge and measure IAT before and after your project. Don't expect a big difference.

Keep it simple.

Well, you asked. :cool:

Well right now I just have a cone filter sitting where my air box used to be. I took the silencer out of my old box so that's outta the question. And I figure with the polished tubing and InsuWrap I oughta be pullin in a lot cooler air. I would rather go threw all the fab work and have my own set up that I know is gonna pull cold air than strive for a lil hp and put the engine under more stress. Any hp i'd gain from the cone filter i'd prolly get in return for colder air? I'm hell bent on getting a supercharger anyways :) I just hate fine tuning :)

Back