Outside lights on and out go all the instrument lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Outside lights on and out go all the instrument lights

spguest

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited
I have a strange issue. I had to change out the multifunction switch on our ’95 Limited when the unit stopped working the indicators. I have swapped this unit before and had no issues. This time we tested all the functions and it worked just fine. That was until we were out in the evening and the lights came on and all the instrument panel illumination went off including the Electronic Message Center and the steering wheel’s cruise control lights. The radio, heater and other all work just their illumination goes out. As soon as all the exterior lights, parking and headlights, are off the radio and message center light right back up.

The only change made was the fitting of the steering column multifunction switch. Looking at the manual I do not see these instrument lights being routed through this switch. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am off to pull the new unit out of the car and get a replacement at O’Rielly’s just in case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your console light dimmer switch might be all the way "off" ( dome light off) which will turn off all the cluster lights ( all the way dim ) When lights are switched on.

Hi Jon
Thanks for the thought. I checked that. When the lights are not on the message center text and the clock in the radio are bright. Lights on out they go and the dimmer switch makes no difference. It won't even turn on the internal light when fully on!

Jon
Sorry you misunderstand. The dimmer switch is working fine when the instrument lights are on. It switches on the overhead light and everything. When the exterior lights are on - it appears to be impacted as well. No power at this switch either! I have no idea where this is going to ground but I assume this is what has happened.

Well I still have no idea why, but new Multifunction switch installed and all is again working.

This switch seems to impact an amazing amount of stuff. This is my third one in 8 years. All have exhibited different symptoms with the only obvious one being the one which sent smoke out of the unit.

You guys rock on this site. If I had followed the Haynes manual to change this I would have had to remove the steering wheel. Following the comments here and quick search on YouTube and you discover you don't :)

Back