Help - Outside mirror cover removal for 2021 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - Outside mirror cover removal for 2021 Explorer?

stone21explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer XLT
Anyone familiar with how to properly remove and install the oem outside mirror (skull) covers? I haven't been able to find much information on removal, most offer taped stick on covers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't removed the mirror skull caps on my ST, but I have on previous fords I have owned. Try pushing in on the bottom of the mirror glass as far as it will go, get a long thin flat screwdriver and go in from the top right behind the glass. There should be a round hub on the back of the glass that is clipped into the mirror drive motor. Pop those clips and remove the glass, you may have to unplug the heated mirror wires if you have them. Look inside the housing at the inside of the skull cap, there should be a few screws (could be 2, 3, or even 4) holding the cap in place. Remove them and the cap comes right off.

WARNING I have not verified if this works on a 20+ explorer, I'm just relaying the procedure on previous ford I've owned. Chances are the procedure is the same or similar. Proceed at your own risk.

EDIT: I just looked on Tasca and they do sell just the mirror caps so they do come off.

The mirror housing should look similar to this with the cap off

painted flares 016.JPG

And here is the caps after I had them painted before reinstall

painted mirror caps 003.JPG

Upvote 0

Morning all! Wife happened to hit a mailbox with her passenger side mirror. Fortunately the mirror still works, but the exterior front cap has a hole in it. Found the part, but need guidance on the removal of the old cap and the replacement of the new cap.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

452ADDFE-A8D5-4EB4-99BB-2B91256DC949.jpeg

Upvote 0

Upvote 0

Morning all! Wife happened to hit a mailbox with her passenger side mirror. Fortunately the mirror still works, but the exterior front cap has a hole in it. Found the part, but need guidance on the removal of the old cap and the replacement of the new cap.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Welcome to the Forum Dave. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one but unfortunately, there haven't been any replies on a 'How To' on the 6th gen.
Perhaps this will get some responses.
There are several posts in the 5th gen forum on the same issue. BTW, it always seems to be "the wife" that's involved. Coincidence?;)

Peter

Upvote 0

Welcome to the Forum Dave. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one but unfortunately, there haven't been any replies on a 'How To' on the 6th gen.
Perhaps this will get some responses.
There are several posts in the 5th gen forum on the same issue. BTW, it always seems to be "the wife" that's involved. Coincidence?;)

Peter
Thanks! I did see, when browsing, where someone also asked the question. Hopefully this gets some traffic!

Upvote 0

Back