over 250,000 mi | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

over 250,000 mi

trx250r

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 eddie bauer 4 door 4x
on the stock 4.0! im new here and im wondering can anyone beat that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 355k miles on our engine.. but I'm swapping it out now..

@ 235k miles I lost the heads (lost the water pump, then water, then overheated)
@ 28xk miles I had a spark plug break and get stuck between the valve and seat (I had the valve/seat fixed)
@ 355k miles I'm putting in my spare motor (building it) as the truck has been leaking oil into the water for the last year.. now its acting "not happy" so I'm swapping it..

BTW.. I gave up on the a4ld trans miles ago.. I now have about 60k or so miles on the 700r4

~Mark

I had 319,000 before i put in the newer 4.0 lol got ya ha ha lol but it needed the replacment burnt oil pretty good.

Congratulations on breaking 2.5k miles!

Isn't it nice to now be able to tell people you have over a quarter million miles on your truck? :)

I used to love going to emisions (I don't have to anymore)..

The input field for mileage at the testing facility was only 8-bit.. they couldn't handle anything over 255.. It would always confuse them when I said something over 255k.. they didn't know how to enter it.

~Mark

Congratulations on breaking 250K miles or .25 M miles. :thumbsup:

345,000 kilometers (200,000 miles) here...runs smooth, lots of pick-up, 1 quart for 6000 km's, idles smooth...fires after first click of the key

342,000 Miles BABY!!!

yeah it feels good to tell the ford haters i have over a quater mil on my '93 explorer. i havent had anything major go wrong with the engine, all stock internals, heads, and stuff. burns about a quart every 5000mi but i just get the oil changed at that point so i have only added oil once or twice. no noticeable smoke in the exhaust. its a little sluggish though but i took the mufferler off and am working on cutting off the cats and putting a hi flow cat in the back.

You guys are all lucky to get that many miles out of your engine with no major work. I'm at about 182,000 right now and I'm in the middle of replacing a head gasket thats leaking wicked bad. If it wasnt raining outside right now i'd be out there working on it.

Congratulations! I have only 207,000 miles on mine, but I hope to break 250,000 someday. My 92 is my daily driver and sole vehicle.

That's why SUV's are better for the environment. They last longer and don't fill up the junkyards.

Bob

Im getting there! 230,000 on my '93, and its my primary ride, did have to put a tranny in it thought (suprize, suprize), I am going buy a parts explorer this week, it only has 108,000 on it thats barley broken it for the 4.0

Ford use the same transmission as gm or you made a homemade adapter???
700r4 is used on gm trucks too.

Thank you for the infos

I have 355k miles on our engine.. but I'm swapping it out now..

@ 235k miles I lost the heads (lost the water pump, then water, then overheated)
@ 28xk miles I had a spark plug break and get stuck between the valve and seat (I had the valve/seat fixed)
@ 355k miles I'm putting in my spare motor (building it) as the truck has been leaking oil into the water for the last year.. now its acting "not happy" so I'm swapping it..

BTW.. I gave up on the a4ld trans miles ago.. I now have about 60k or so miles on the 700r4

~Mark

Theres an adapter that lets you bolt the 700r4 to the 4.0

Ford use the same transmission as gm or you made a homemade adapter???
700r4 is used on gm trucks too.

Thank you for the infos

Advanced adapters makes an adapter kit. You replace the a4ld with a small case 700r4 and you get to keep your stock transfer case and driveshafts (only the trans changes)..

Its not a "cheap" conversion.. In the end it cost (trans + adapter + misc) about the same as getting the a4ld rebuilt, I just didn't want to do that again (the 700r4 is the 5th transmission that has been in the explorer). I do love the conversion.. the only thing I'd do diff is use a local good trans builder instead of bowtie overdrives.

There are a few threads about the conversions on here.. good reading (search on 700r4)

~Mark

That's really awesome, my truck is a 2002 and has only 94 000. I hope mine sees that amount of Miles!!!!!

I'm sitting around 211,000 miles and she's running pretty good. Head gasket leaks coolant periodically all over the hot motor, but it doesn't burn oil and everything else is fine. Gonna have to do head gaskets soon, and the transmission hasn't shifted right for about 15,000 miles :D Guess I might fix that someday.

Lol , I think I'm starting to see a trend with head gaskets, Is it normally the first thing that goes on any vehicle that age? I think you're like the 5th person who's mentioned that!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Outstanding!
I am just run in with 80k on the clock- Will look after her and who knows, may beet you in time!
Heres hoping!!!!

Back