Over axle conversion help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Over axle conversion help!

JIM-TRS

Reaction score
I need help with an over axle conversion. I'm having trouble finding someone to do the conversion and/or knows what they're doing. Is there any advise you can give me to ensure this is done right? What about pinion angles? Can they just clamp the new ones above the old ones and make sure they're an even distance from each other front and rear before welding? Where can I find new spring perches to weld on?
Any help on this would really be appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jim

the rear spring over shouldn't be a headache, the main thing is to find a well recommended capable, competent welder. That is most important, such an important part can't be compromised, you don't need .... Joe yeah he can weld... you need a really top notch welder, he doesn't even need to be into automotive although i don't know any that aren't just know his stuff, i am doing the rear spring over and i am gonna mount my perches that i got from a catalog , but i know summit carries them also in the mopar section used on dana 60 they fit perfectly. anyway i am gonna have mine welded exactly above the old ones, parrallell hahaha lol enough r's and l's then if i think the angle needs changed i can add shims. but hey 1 or 2 degrees might come in handy i'll see when the time comes, i have a smart level so i can set it with the bottom one and then adjust the angle. tack weld it and verify they are congruant, the round cut in the perch should keep it perpendicular to the axle.

hope this helps
kyle klicker

Back