over filled transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

over filled transmission

rm787

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I changed the transmission fluid and filter a couple of weeks back, and unfortunately over-filled it by one quart. I should have only put 4 quarts of fluid in there, but ended up filling in 5 quarts. I have the automatic transmission - 2 wheel drive.

Is there any easy way to drain out the excess without unbolting the transmission pan? I would assume that I could undo one of the trans cooler lines with a box wrench that goes to the radiator. If so, is it the bottom cooler line that inserts into the radiator on the driver's side? If that is the case, should I start the vehicle to drain the excess fluid out, or will enough excess drain out by unbolting the line without adding pressure by starting the vehicle?

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take the top trans cooler line off the radiator, put an extension on it and point it into a quart sized container. You also need to plug the open end on the radiator or you'll have a mess on your hands. Have somebody start the truck while you monitor the level in the quart. Shut it down when it's full.
Easy, really.

You could try pumping it out through the dipstick tube, but there may be obstructions preventing the tube from getting to the fluid.

Otherwise pump it out as my98 says, or drop the pan. Next time you drop the pan, install a drain plug.

Take the top trans cooler line off the radiator, put an extension on it and point it into a quart sized container. You also need to plug the open end on the radiator or you'll have a mess on your hands. Have somebody start the truck while you monitor the level in the quart. Shut it down when it's full.
Easy, really.

That has my vote too. It would be significantly easier if you had a buddy that could help you too.

Good luck!

thanks for the suggestions.

Had same problem, I sucked it out filler tube using a length of tubing clear best so you can see it working, attach a top of a cleaning fluid gun from any old bottle and squeeze away into a container, be patient, but its better than dropping the pan, it can be a pain to re-seal it

^+1 suction gun in filler tube.

Back