Over heat? FIRST GEN All aluminum 3 row radiators! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Over heat? FIRST GEN All aluminum 3 row radiators!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ordered mine in about a week ago and installed it a couple of days ago. My 93 ranger has always had this problem with running hot after sitting in traffic and would get -VERY- hot when I run AC. I checked over everything in my cooling system and countless hours of checking parts over, making sure fan clutch, water pump, radiator cap, thermostat were all good.

Coming the day of the replacement, I straightened any bent fins on my condenser and use a long brisled steel wire brush to brush away the pebbles and dried leaves on my condenser.

I swapped the radiator in, filled it, bled it for 1.5 hours using my handy spill free funnel. Bought a new motorcraft radiator cap. Did my worshipping dance, sacrificed a lamb, and offered a bowl of cornflakes to the gods.

These past few days have been the best days of driving so far. I sat in heavy traffic on a nice hot desert day, AC blowing hard, maxed out and all and the radiator took that heat like a champ.

This has been the best investment for my truck. I honestly couldn't be happier and if anyone else has the same problem I had, I would get this radiator.

Yeah. Summer in Vegas has been brutal; even my all aluminum two row couldn't handle it when going up hill at highway speeds.

Now even on triple digit days, uphill, I don't get above half.

Sorry for the double post, but does anyone know of a "compatible" electric fan for this radiator? A lot of the modifications on here focus on two-row rads.

Ordered mine in about a week ago and installed it a couple of days ago.

Did you have to shorten the lower pipe nipple to fit the radiator hose on like FR-425 said he had to on his..

I think the reason fr-425 had to shorten his is he has a sport . Mine was a 91 with a factory 2 core & I did not have to shorten the nipple & the supplied fittings worked perfect !!! Look this thread over & you will see the pics I posted . Mine has worked flawlessly . I owe fr-425 the credit for this find .
:salute:

Sorry for the double post, but does anyone know of a "compatible" electric fan for this radiator? A lot of the modifications on here focus on two-row rads.

You can check with fr-425 , He will be able to tell you . He will also tell you that you should leave it stock . the eletric fans are prone to rub holes in these alum. rads. :D

Did you have to shorten the lower pipe nipple to fit the radiator hose on like FR-425 said he had to on his..

No I didn't but I had to adjust the mounting pieces that held onto the radiator support.

Heres a new update though, I noticed a few days ago that there was a leak coming from my truck and I thought it was a failing hose or something simple. Today after opening everything up to look for the leak I found out I had multiple failure points on both sides of my radiator top and bottom.

Now I know some people have been running this radiator for years now with no problem so Im hoping mine was a fluke in manufacturing or something.

I contacted radiator classic about it so now we get to test their customer service. ILL KEEP YOU ALL UPDATED.

Pics of the leaks
lx9bUMf.jpg

PNdgeMH.jpg

Thats where mine leaked at..but I had a single core units..

In answer to another question, I put one of the 3 row all aluminum ones into our '92 XLT (AT, A/C, etc.) and also had to shorten the lower hose connection. I am otherwise very satisfied with it. A few more degrees of down angle would solve the interference problem.

Could my problem be from electrolysis? Should I stick a sacrificial anode inside it next time?

Mine went in today !!

I bought one about 1 month ago. I installed it today along with a new heater core and a thermostat. I flushed the system really good then installed the new parts and flushed with water one more time. I had to cut the lower nipple about 3/4 to 1" like FR said. Also mine needed the upper left mounting tab trimmed a little on the bottom of it to clear a factory bundle of wires. Other then those miner issues i'am still saying it fits like a glove. It won't be long before it gets put to the test. The grid locked traffic and the high humidity in the DC area is not so bad as long the Ex's A/C blows cold and the engines temp dosent sky rocket at the same time.. We will see, But i'am feeling good about this one!!!

S.

Hey all,

If this particular model is not not available, anyone have any suggestions on a comparable one? My '92 stx (4.0 v6 4wd) needs a replacement anyway with the fan and fan clutch, but the heatwave going on here in the PNW, makes it sketch to even try to do any extended climbs. It's starting to push past the "L" in the mid 90's on subjectivly moderate long inclines. I feel pretty shaky about going over the passes on the westside, forget the eastside. I blew a front seal trying to come back last time and want to get this problem covered once and for all.

Other threads have repeated that this is a particular issue with this generation and trans. SO, if I have been following correctly, this has the trans cooler, too? And that when I replace the fan/clutch, I maybe should look into getting an electric?

total noob here, so if my questions address disparate topics, preemptive apologies if I overlooked a sticky that already covers this. First vehicle/truck in 15 years and I never did this kind of work before, but am extremely eager to diy this machine.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot! Is the lack of an EOC something I should consider? Since there is an TOC, does that eliminate an external TOC (if one would fit even fit)?

Like I said, I'm running pretty blind on this and reading various threads on various forums and piece together the pieces into a somewhat coherent picture.

Thanks again.

I'm not sure why it even says Not with Engine Oil Cooler. I never seen a radiator that had a built in EOC.. This radiator is for Automatics with the built in Transmission Oil Cooler. You don't have to use it. I'm not using mine..

7. Will need to buy Female adapters for the trans cooler lines. Hardware store plumbing dep. Just male pipe to female flare adapter.:D

I know this thread is long dead, but do you happen to remember the size of the adapters? Been sitting on a rad I purchased from a member 2 years ago, when I was running a 5 speed and it wasnt an issue.

Back