• Register Today It's free!

over heating

justin69

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Worth Tx.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XL bone stock :-(
well.............. I just changed out the thermostat and she's still over heating. the needle hangs out in the MA area. any ideas? I was thinkin it was the water pump. with the radiador cap off, the water just sits. it doesn't circulate, but yet, it doesn't over flow either. but yet it still tries to over heat. I kick on the heater and it cools down pretty quick. any advise would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also check to see if the ac condensor is gunked up blocking air flow to the radiator.

I just changed out the thermostat and she's still over heating.

with the radiador cap off, the water just sits. it doesn't circulate, but yet, it doesn't over flow either.

I kick on the heater and it cools down pretty quick. any advise would be great.

So you have a few options:
1. Bad thermostat from parts store
2. Bad water pump
3. Clogged radiator.

So I'd try the following, remove the thermostat and put it into a pot of cold water, then heat the water on the stove, see if the thermostat opens up.

Then I'd do a radiator flush, you might have it gunked up enough no water is circulating through the system. After doing a radiator flush (and a GOOD one) I'd see where you're at before removing the water pump.

I also suspect a clog, when water pumps fail they usually leak out the bearing or seize completely, either of which you should be able to see. Bad thermostat is possible, but two in a row seems less likely...

good advise guys. I'm gonna try and flush the radiator first and see what happens.

Back