Overall impressions of the 2020 Explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overall impressions of the 2020 Explorer?

Yeah, he says that we have one of the worst engines of any car manufacturer and that's when I started not to take this guy seriously.

The worst audio system ever and $995 for 2 extra speakers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I gave him some credit...look at how well integrated the camera is in the Ram 1500
View attachment 177737

Or in the Volvo:
View attachment 177738

If I were to conclude why they put the camera views at the top of the screen it is to keep your eyes's line of sight ahead and with the the side mirrors, instead of having to look down at the dash. The same reason the put the nav map at the top so it is easier to see when driving.

I don't really disagree with the fellow's assessment. He did say he liked the vehicle. I do too, and I think it drives really well for a big SUV. But I think it really does have some issues. We have the ST and it is way too expensive for what you get, especially here in So. CA where it doesn't look like we get the sorts of rebates other areas of the country get, nor desperate dealers. The cost is in German car territory without the build quality or refinement. If it wasn't for the rear drive, 400HP engine ST, we probably would have looked elsewhere at this price.

Also I think they did a very poor, haphazard job with the in vehicle technology. The dash and 10 inch screen are poorly laid out, don't provide information very well, and don't seem to be easy to customize in a way that you get the info you want. I also think the sound system is crap, especially given the additional 1K we paid for it. I think it's so bad I figured I'd find my subwoofer and tweeters in the same place as my rear deflector, tow hook, fuel funnel, and whatever else they forgot to bolt on the car that I haven't noticed yet.

But I do like driving it.

I don't really disagree with the fellow's assessment. He did say he liked the vehicle. I do too, and I think it drives really well for a big SUV. But I think it really does have some issues. We have the ST and it is way too expensive for what you get, especially here in So. CA where it doesn't look like we get the sorts of rebates other areas of the country get, nor desperate dealers. The cost is in German car territory without the build quality or refinement. If it wasn't for the rear drive, 400HP engine ST, we probably would have looked elsewhere at this price.

Also I think they did a very poor, haphazard job with the in vehicle technology. The dash and 10 inch screen are poorly laid out, don't provide information very well, and don't seem to be easy to customize in a way that you get the info you want. I also think the sound system is crap, especially given the additional 1K we paid for it. I think it's so bad I figured I'd find my subwoofer and tweeters in the same place as my rear deflector, tow hook, fuel funnel, and whatever else they forgot to bolt on the car that I haven't noticed yet.

But I do like driving it.

you pretty much summarized his assessment by sharing your own experience.

I also think the sound system is crap, especially given the additional 1K we paid for it.

You paid $1,000 for the sound-system alone (the same claim the guy in the video made)?

Well, at least in that case, you got the bigger screen and the massaging seats for free....

The worst audio system ever and $995 for 2 extra speakers.

Don't forget his smart comment 'I don't even know HOW MUCH the BASE system is...'.

That's not how I would define a professional reviewer...

Mine has been in the shop for the past month, I've had a few of the main issues that people here are mentioning, but I still like this vehicle, and don't agree at ALL with most of what that reviewer was saying. I don't think the fit and finish is nearly as bad as it was in previous models, the ride is definitely FIRM in the ST, but that's what I wanted when I purchased it. The 10 speed is way better than in the 14 Sport model I had. The 3.0 is a beast in this vehicle. Honestly, this is the most fun, and most useful vehicle I've ever owned, and I'm guessing this is my 20th NEW purchase, and maybe close to that used. (ummmm….I like cars)

Mine has been in the shop for the past month, I've had a few of the main issues that people here are mentioning, but I still like this vehicle, and don't agree at ALL with most of what that reviewer was saying. I don't think the fit and finish is nearly as bad as it was in previous models, the ride is definitely FIRM in the ST, but that's what I wanted when I purchased it. The 10 speed is way better than in the 14 Sport model I had. The 3.0 is a beast in this vehicle. Honestly, this is the most fun, and most useful vehicle I've ever owned, and I'm guessing this is my 20th NEW purchase, and maybe close to that used. (ummmm….I like cars)

Its mostly people that don't test drive a car before buying. If you see a lot of plastic and cheaper interior and you wanted a more luxury, then go for a different brand like Aviator or Palisade or something. I got this vehicle because it is fast, tight steering in sport mode and a very pleasant vehicle to drive besides the suspension noise.

One of the two worst new cars I have ever purchased. Will not buy a Ford again.

Its mostly people that don't test drive a car before buying. If you see a lot of plastic and cheaper interior and you wanted a more luxury, then go for a different brand like Aviator or Palisade or something. I got this vehicle because it is fast, tight steering in sport mode and a very pleasant vehicle to drive besides the suspension noise.

Yeah I don't understand the gripes about the stiff ride and road noise, uhhh it is supposed to be an ST version, not a luxury vehicle.

Since the 2020 Explorer has been on the road for months, I was wondering if it is worthwhile to upgrade to the 2020 Explorer? I've got my 18 XLT AWD right now (N/A 3.5), biggest problem is lack of power. I managed to tune what I could out of the engine and trans. The difference is now night and day, but I can't make this engine produce another 100 hp.

So is it worth $60k to get the Explorer ST or shell out $50k for the Limited or perhaps XLT? How do these compare to the 16-19 Explorer?

I've had my 2020 Explorer Limited since October. It's a smooth riding vehicle - nothing like the Gen 1 or Gen 2 truck based models I have owned. I have the 2.3 Ecoboost engine and the horsepower is deceptive. It putts around town like a silly 4-banger but if put the pedal down, you suddenly realize that there really are 300 horses under the hood....a strange feeling. I bought another Explorer because I am a hobbyist woodworker. I need the space and it has plenty. My only complaint is the abysmal gas mileage. Tank after tank around town yields only 14-15 MPG. I have already had the dealer's people look at it and they can only scratch their heads.

On my last fill-up I got 18.4 with the 3.0L with about 60-40 hwy/city.

Peter

On my last fill-up I got 18.4 with the 3.0L with about 60-40 hwy/city.

Peter

Peter, that's decent by Ford Explorer standards, but it is terrible in general. At least the ST/Aviator has a bigger 21 gallon tank but I had to tune the snot out of my 2018 XLT 3.5 to get 18+ mpg mixed driving (50/50). Stock from the factory I was seeing 14-16 mpg in the same conditions.

The Savage Geese reviews may seem harsh, but I watched their review of the 2017 Fusion Sport. I really wish I had watched their review, because ALL of the leaks they showed are true... Rear differential leaks, trans/engine oil pan leaks, etc...

The underbody video shots of the 2020 Explorer are really helpful as it shows the style of front and rear suspension which look very beefed up.

Platinum with always used remote start rural mixed some city very little highway avg on each tank always 20.5-21.5
The 2.3 xlt we loaned was really good with 26-27.5 on mountainous highway and 23 rural as above.

Was going to buy a new Explorer, but after hearing about all the recalls now on this vehicle, I think I'll pass. Ford has a recall on the wiring harness possibly rubbing on the air conditioner drive belt. In a worst-case scenario, contact from rubbing against the pulley could expose the wiring harness to an unfused circuit and cause a short circuit or fire

As far as I know, there are 4 recalls on the 6th gen. and they are all listed in the Recall thread. They apply to different build dates. Recalls on new vehicles are not unheard of. BTW, the one on the harness came out in October.

Peter

Traded in my '11 pilot and got a '20 XLT on Feb 15. Went on a President's week ski trip with the family. Got 1k miles on it now. Love that I finally can connect my phone to the car, remote start and have no gripes about the transmission and engine. Haven't looked at the door sticker for birthday but the window sticker had a 1/20 date so it was made after the 4 recalls.

It is taking some getting use to as it drives much differently and is smaller/lower than my old pilot. Wife complains about the much firmer ride but I'm okay with it. My kids were disappointed that there was no RES since my pilot had it. Easily fixed with some tablets. I miss the driver's ride height and cargo/passenger space the pilot had. Well, for the passenger part, I now have an excuse to not be a chauffeur for the in-laws. ;)

During the ski trip, we drove through a blizzard and I found that the lights were inadequate with the lows and fogs on. The light output looked yellow and dim. Missed some deer on the side of the highway which I did not see until I was right next to them during the storm. On a clear night, I have no qualms about the lighting. Hoping for a way to install better lighting. Maybe put a light bar in the bumper slot to get that extra output. Other than that, I'm loving it! Getting ready for another road trip to our neighbor up north in the coming months. Going to have a large cargo box on top so we'll see how it handles that.

Where in the name of God's green earth, do you need the power plant in the ST or Platinum? I don't see it. But Ford has sucked people into paying $55,000 so the can say they have a "fast SUV." Whoopee Do. An XLT with the 2.3L is probably the sweet spot, and hopefully you can buy it for under $40,000, because that's where the price point needs to be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.......... Going to have a large cargo box on top so we'll see how it handles that.
Just keep in mind the weight restrictions. 75 lbs with a moonroof and 165 lbs without.

Peter

Back