Overdrive and cold weather starting problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive and cold weather starting problem

thescarbs

Reaction score
City, State
benton, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
1991 XLT
Overdrive shifts in and out around 45 to 55 mph on hills with jerking action. Whats wrong?
Dont like to start in cold weather, New plugs and battery. Does it have a cold weather starting sensor to give it extra fuel or would I have a low fuel pressure pressure.I need help

Welcome to the site. Is the fluid topped off? how old is the fluid. As long as it is still shifting, and not giving you problems getting into other gears, may be best to leave it be. May want to leave in D when doing your hill driving to prevent OD shifts...

Have you changed you battery cables? They tend to rot on the insides, so you may not notice any trouble but the juice going thru them will be diminished.

You might whant to take a close look at the positive bat cable. They are prone to corosion. Easy to replace but it is a $75 dealer part.
As far as the surging I WISH I KNEW. It's been buging me for the last year. No codes on the computer. What could it be?

Try synthetic motor oil, ATF and gear lube. They flow more easily at cold temps and will help you get going more smoothly. AMSOIL synthetics are superior to any automotive lubricant and will help improve fuel mileage and performance. Click the link in my signature for more info.

Back