• Register Today It's free!

overdrive and reverse slipping

tubicinator

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
1995 XLT control trac, 158,000 miles. The overdrive gear slips under a load (uphill). Reverse was slipping, now not working at all. Forward gears work fine with O/D switched off. Ford rebuilt this tranny at 55,000 miles - broken bands, O/D light flashing. The O/D light is not flashing now. I've taken it to a fairly reputable tranny guy but I want to arm myself against what he might tell me. I don't want another rebuild.
Questions: Can I tell my tranny type from the VIN? I don't have the car to look at the door sticker. Is is possible it needs another rebuild after only 103,000 miles? What else might be causing the problems? Grateful for any help.

Sounds like the tranny might be going. Had this problem with a previous Explorer. Don't let the tranny shop fix though. A lot of times not a true and full rebuild. Check out
www.monstertransmissions.com. Just got a new transfer case from them and they are great to deal with and very reasonable price wise. I don't trust tranny shops.

I have the same problems with my expl; I dont wantt to rebild it again i want to swap it out for a a4ld or a manual { so it is going out }

Back