Overdrive Light O/D Flashes & Code P0761 pulls up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive Light O/D Flashes & Code P0761 pulls up

SMASHEK

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB 5.0 AWD 4dr
I have a 1996 Ranger 2wd 4cyl 2.3 auto trans,135K miles

The CEL Code light is on with a code of P0761 and the OD light flashes around 60-70 MPH. The 10amp fuse that controls the OD, DRL and Back up light blows as soon as the truck is put in gear.
I have replace the 10 amp fuse a number of times and also checked for shorts to the backup lights but have found no issues although I may have missed it.

I have had the problem for about 10 months so I think it may be a simple fix. Any ideas on where to check for a wire short or other easy fix?

Please help with a diagnosis........

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

It would be great if someone had any insight to this, I have....or had almost the same problem with my X. It started blowing the fuse for 4WD, OD, etc....Now it stopped blowing fuses, but my OD does not work....

Fixed It

After all this time it was just a broken wire at the base of the shift lever. The wire from the overdrive button (thin black wire) was worn and shorted on the column.

The fuse kept blowing as soon as I put it in gear and this prevented the backup lights from working and then the OD light would flash. Also, pressing the OD button did not turn the 'OD off' indicator light on. Since the truck could not shift into over drive, it triggered the P0761 code code and the CEL stayed on. I had always thought the 3-4 solenoid was bad but really it was just the broken wire.

So if you back up light fuse is blown and you OD light is flashing, don't wait for years to fix it like me. Check the wire at the base of the shift arm and you may find a little electrical tape can save an annoying problem.

I have read posts with similar problems on Explorers so maybe this will help.

Cool, thanks for the results update. :thumbsup:

Back