Overdrive Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive Light

KINNEY201

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT V8
1997 Ford Explorer XLT Eddie Bauer V8

Recently, I noticed that when my overdrive button is pressed, my overdrive light does not turn on. It seems as if the engine goes into overdrive, but I can't figure out why the light is out. All other lights appear to be working fine. Has anyone else have this problem or know of a solution? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 99' Mountaineer with the same problem.

The O/D button is working and will turn off overdrive if i press it but the light on the dash will not light. Does anyone know if this light is replaceable or if it is a built in LED?

I took the dash apart once to replace a couple bulbs behind the cluster but i didn't know the O/D light was out at the time and would hate to pull the whole thing apart again just to see it can't be replaced.

The dash lights are replaceable I can't quote you for sure on the light number but its been mentioned here before.

I recommend you replace every bulb in the cluster while you have it out.

Thanks for the info guys.

In one of the pictures in that thread i can actually see the white backings of the bulb sockets. I guess i just didn't notice them last time when i replaced the black backed main ones. I think i'll wait for a weekend when i have a couple hours to kill.

Thanks again guys,
Creef412

Back