overdrive light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

overdrive light

tct

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt 4.0/v6
overdrive light flashing

Just bought a 2002 Ford explorer with 4.0, v6, has 102,000 miles. Overdrive light is flashing after car gets past 55 mph. Changed out transmission fluid, but still does it. No code shows up on...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

overdrive light flashing

Just bought a 2002 Ford explorer with 4.0, v6, has 102,000 miles. Overdrive light is flashing after car gets past 55 mph. Changed out transmission fluid, but still does it. No code shows up on...

Check for code using "CAN" type code reader. 5 gets you 10, the problem is failure of the Torque Converter Clutch to engage. You can check that with nothing else but close observation of your tachometer. Once you get up to cruising speed, say 55, on level road, not accelerating or decelerating, increase gas pedal pressure VERY SLIGHTLY. If tachometer immediately climbs, the clutch has not engaged.

The code will narrow down the cause. My gut guess will be Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid failure. imp

I'm getting exactly same thing on my 04 and had no luck pulling codes. Everything else shifts fine. The light is also intermittent... And I can tell when it'll come on as the rpms are about 400 rpm higher on a highway.

Which one of the solenoid pack is the TC one? I replaced the oil and filter recently hoping it'll fix it, but same thing.

I'm getting exactly same thing on my 04 and had no luck pulling codes. Everything else shifts fine. The light is also intermittent... And I can tell when it'll come on as the rpms are about 400 rpm higher on a highway.

Which one of the solenoid pack is the TC one? I replaced the oil and filter recently hoping it'll fix it, but same thing.

The '04 transmission, 5R55S, uses a solenoid "module" which incorporates all the solenoids (8 of them, I believe!) in a "package". Cannot replace only one at a time. Try having one of the parts stores that read codes free do so. If your own code reader is not of the "CAN protocol" variety, it will not show up transmission codes.

My own '04 started O/D OFF flashing, before I had investigated all this. I had the code pulled at a Ford dealer, 2000 miles from home, he advised me the TCC was not engaging, and to continue driving with that condition would destroy the transmission.

I verified the no TCC lockup by checking the tachometer, drove all the way home with no lockup, ordered solenoid module on-line, installed it myself, that was 60,000 miles ago, still working fine. imp

The '04 transmission, 5R55S, uses a solenoid "module" which incorporates all the solenoids (8 of them, I believe!) in a "package". Cannot replace only one at a time. Try having one of the parts stores that read codes free do so. If your own code reader is not of the "CAN protocol" variety, it will not show up transmission codes.

My own '04 started O/D OFF flashing, before I had investigated all this. I had the code pulled at a Ford dealer, 2000 miles from home, he advised me the TCC was not engaging, and to continue driving with that condition would destroy the transmission.

I verified the no TCC lockup by checking the tachometer, drove all the way home with no lockup, ordered solenoid module on-line, installed it myself, that was 60,000 miles ago, still working fine. imp

Thanks for the info man. How much did the solenoid module run you? Got a link by any chance? Mine works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I saw some videos on replacing the solenoid pack... it doesn't seem that hard to do.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info man. How much did the solenoid module run you? Got a link by any chance? Mine works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I saw some videos on replacing the solenoid pack... it doesn't seem that hard to do.

Thanks again.

I ordered it on Ebay, about $185, if I recall properly, brand new, made by Bosch, came in the still sealed German box. Keep in mind, I was damned sure that (1) the TCC was not engaging, and (2) I had a code telling me the solenoid was the cause. The clutch itself can fail, and throw a different code, so before you buy a solenoid pack, you really should investigate further, if you can.

When I took down my oil pan, there was a little pile of bronze shavings sitting in the bottom. The failed solenoid's plunger bushing, made of bronze, had crumbled to bits. I decided there might be more crap up in there, so took down the valve body also. It had a pile of bronze on top of it, not visible until taken down. To be safe, I cleaned off the valve body carefully, before putting it back, and installed the new solenoid pack. For added safety, I installed an in-line fluid filter up close to the radiator, under the hood.

There is room to mess up doing this job, especially if you are inexperienced with automatic transmissions. I would recommend you obtain a 5R55S repair manual. If the only trouble is a non-functioning TCC, you can drive the vehicle all you want, without hurting it. IF! imp

The manual I have is Ford Motor Co. Techtran Manual, Automatic Transmission Service Group (ATSG). 18635 SW 107th. Ave., Miami, FL 33157 (305) 670 4161

https://www.atsg.us/atsg/

I ordered it on Ebay, about $185, if I recall properly, brand new, made by Bosch, came in the still sealed German box. Keep in mind, I was damned sure that (1) the TCC was not engaging, and (2) I had a code telling me the solenoid was the cause. The clutch itself can fail, and throw a different code, so before you buy a solenoid pack, you really should investigate further, if you can.

When I took down my oil pan, there was a little pile of bronze shavings sitting in the bottom. The failed solenoid's plunger bushing, made of bronze, had crumbled to bits. I decided there might be more crap up in there, so took down the valve body also. It had a pile of bronze on top of it, not visible until taken down. To be safe, I cleaned off the valve body carefully, before putting it back, and installed the new solenoid pack. For added safety, I installed an in-line fluid filter up close to the radiator, under the hood.

There is room to mess up doing this job, especially if you are inexperienced with automatic transmissions. I would recommend you obtain a 5R55S repair manual. If the only trouble is a non-functioning TCC, you can drive the vehicle all you want, without hurting it. IF! imp

The manual I have is Ford Motor Co. Techtran Manual, Automatic Transmission Service Group (ATSG). 18635 SW 107th. Ave., Miami, FL 33157 (305) 670 4161

https://www.atsg.us/atsg/

Great info! Thanks again! I'll try to see what the code is when it comes back. I may pay ford to just give me the code before I go replacing parts.

Back