Overdrive stopped working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive stopped working

Amarotica

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
Hi all,
My explorer previously had some problems with engaging any gear and I fixed that with a new valve body. Now, a couple months later, I am having completely different/new problems. I've done tons of research and I've narrowed the problem down to two possible parts. I would really like some input from more advanced members on what they would guess it is before I spend my money on the wrong part.

Error code I recieve: P0966: Pressure Control Solenoid B Control Circuit Low

Issue possibility 1: Overdrive servo bore excessive wear SOLUTION: O-Ring servo pin
I feel like it may be this but only because this is a huge problem in this year explorers. I have 160k on my car so I wouldn't doubt this is going out. Anyone have this code for their servo bores going out? It doesn't really make sense for it to be that in my head since solenoid circuit low isn't mechanical is it?

Issue possibility 2: Solenoid pack, specifically PCS B bad SOLUTION: Solenoid pack
This makes the most sense to me but I'd like to hear what others think. Does this mean the solenoid is bad? Or clogged? Or low fluid? yourmechanic.com says it could be insufficient fluid? I could try and add some tomorrow...

Another tranny problem that has been ongoing is very harsh thuds into gear when changing from P to R or P to D or D to R... When I move the shifter, it jolts and sounds like someone ran into my car with a rubber mallet! Could the pressure control solenoid B be causing that? Or is it more likely worn solenoid bores?

Thanks in advance for any input you may have! In my opinion, it is better to have a 75% chance of fixing the problem with one part as opposed to taking a wild guess and having a 50% chance!

BTW it is a 4.0 V6 2004 4x4 5R55S tranny

Back