overfilled the transmission fluid...maybe | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

overfilled the transmission fluid...maybe

my94ford

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 EB 4WD
Hi everyone. First post here, so I hope I abide by all the rules. Apologies in advance if I don't.

I noticed a slight transmission slip a couple of weeks ago, so I checked the transmission fluid in my 94 Explorer. When I tried to check it with the motor running, all I could determine was that there was fluid all over the dipstick. I let it sit overnight and checked it cold the next morning. The owner's manual says that if it's cold, the fluid level should be between the two holes near the end of the dipstick. Well, my fluid was halfway between the lower hole and the end of the dipstick (extremely low, in my opinion). I added two quarts of fluid. When I checked it again (cold) the fluid level read higher than the cross-hatching on the dipstick (way above the second hole and apparently extremely high)! I'm told that too much fluid will cause problems (blown seals, etc., although some on this board seem to think that's ridiculous). I've tried to use a siphon to get some fluid out, but the hose won't reach down into the fluid b/c something is blocking it. Can someone please advise me on where I stand? I find it hard to believe that two quarts would take it from almost empty to overfilled, but that's what the dipstick is telling me. Is that normal? Thoughts? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Are you checking the fluid level after it was sitting for a while or after it wasn't used all night? It will creep up as it warms up. This link is in # 14 in my list of useful threads: Dead Link Removed

The difference between the low and high marks on the transmission dipstick is approximately 1 pint. (If that is incorrect, maybe Brooklyn or Glacier can correct me) You should be able to pull one of the hoses off of the transmission cooler with the engine off and allow about 1 cup to 1 pint to drain off into a disposable container. Reconnect the hose and recheck the level with the engine running. Repeat as required.

Brooklyn - I check it in the morning after driving it for about 1 minutes to a level parking lot (my driveway and road are slanted).

fixxxer - I don't know what a transmission cooler is, but I'll take a look in the daylight tomorrow and see if there are any hoses that I think I can easily pull off to drain some fluid.

Thanks to you both.

On my '93, the tranny cooler is mounted behind the grill, driver's side. Remove the plastic cover above the radiator, then you can get to the screws and clips holding the grill on, from there, the cooler should be obvious, it's mounted on the front of the radiator.
Just before you check the level, set the e-brake, your foot on the brake pedal, move the transmission selector through every position, pausing about 3-5 seconds in each gear, finishing with the transmission in Park.

Back