How to: - Overhead console display fix - 2nd Gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Overhead console display fix - 2nd Gen

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Thallarsen

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0 Limited AWD
I've seen a few posts relating to the overhead console display going out over time.
I had the same problem, and found the culprit.
Let me start out by describing my specific overhead display:
Mine is in a ’99 Explorer Limited with sunroof. The display provides digital compass bearings and temp. The housing also has the two ‘spot’ lights for driver and passenger.
Picture below.
If yours isn’t exactly the same, but similar, I’ll bet that the problem is identical to mine.
This problem is related to solder failure, similar to the Mach radio display problem.
It's a resistor (or capacitor) that due to considerable heat, eventually loses its soldered contact at the board. You can confirm that this is the culprit before removing the console, by firmly pressing the "Mode" button, thus putting slight pressure on the board housed inside the display housing. If the display fades in slightly then goes out – or stays on for a few hours/days, then goes back out, you have likely tweaked the board slightly and brought temporary contact to the problematic resistor. Keep in mind that the Mode button switches from Farenheit to Celcius, then turns the display off, so you want to make sure that you haven't turned the display off with the Mode button (i.e. press it a few times).

=============================

Let me start out by describing my specific overhead display: Mine is in a '99 Explorer Limited with sunroof. The display provides digital compass bearings and temp. The housing also has the two 'spot' lights for driver and passenger.
fix1.jpg
If yours isn't exactly the same, but similar, I'll bet that the problem is identical to mine. This problem is related to solder failure, similar to the Mach radio display problem.

It's a resistor (or capacitor) that due to considerable heat, eventually loses its soldered contact at the board. You can confirm that this is the culprit by firmly pressing the button, thus putting slight pressure on the board housed inside the display housing. If the display fades in slightly then goes out - or stays on for a few hours/days, then goes back out, you have likely tweaked the board slightly and brought temporary contact to the problematic resistor.

The fix will take less than an hour if you're comfortable with soldering. If you've never soldered before, this may not be a good fix to learn on, because it is such a small component. I suggest finding an electronics guy to resolder the component. It's such a minor job that it shouldn't be much at all.

Anyway, what you'll need:
  1. Torx T-10 and driver.
  2. Soldering iron capable of small soldering repairs
  3. Desoldering braid (I didn't really need it, but for the perfectionist...)
  4. Good solder for small electronic work (silver based?) Radio Shack is a good resource.
  5. Magnifying glass. Preferably the kind with the 'helping hands' alligator clips, in which you can position the glass over the work. You'll need two hands for the solder.
Here are the steps:
1. Remove the overhead console. This is done by pulling back the trim around the sunroof (if equipped) just enough to expose the black tab
fix2.jpg
This tab holds the rear portion of the console in place when tucked behind the sunroof trim (since I don't know the non-sunroof application, you're on your own here). Mine had some sticky adhesive that keeps the trim in place. The console should drop down slightly at this point.
2. Gently pull on both sides at about the middle of the console. It's held in by two pressure clips. It should pop out of the roof fixture without too much force.
fix3.jpg
3. Disconnect the two harness connectors (possibly only one if not equipped with a sunroof).
fix4.jpg
4. Working on a flat surface, remove the Torx screws (11 total for sunroof models). There's no need to remove the two rearmost screws on the black plastic bracket, or the two screws holding the harness plug receptacle (Connector 1 - sunroof models).
fix5.jpg
5. Lift the black plastic insert housing the light bezel and buttons from the console surround.
fix6.jpg
The spotlights and temp/compass display board come out as one unit, as they are attached with connectors.
fix7.jpg
6. Unplug the connector from the white display housing
fix8.jpg
7. Using a small screwdriver, pry around each of the four retainers that hold the white plastic cover in place over the black bottom housing.
fix9.jpg
8. After lifting the white plastic cover from the black bottom housing, you'll be able to remove the circuit board with the display glass. Take care not to bend the display glass.
fix10.jpg
9. Now that you have the board removed, you can identify the failed component. With a magnifying glass, carefully check the integrity and the solders at each end of the resistors labeled "510". This is where I found the failure. Yours is likely at one or both of these. This photo is a closeup. Note that these resistors are only about 1/4" end to end.
fix11.jpg
10. As you can see, I'm not a master solderer, but it worked. There was one resistor that was clearly broken from it's original solder, but the one next to it wasn't looking too stable, so I resoldered both. These little suckers get pretty hot when the display is operating normally, so make sure that your solder is good. This is where you take your time, and make sure that you have a stable solder at all resoldered points. If it's not such a good solder, it will fail before too long. You can test your repair by plugging in the connector to the board, then plugging that directly to the harness in the car. If you get a display, you've fixed the problem!

11. Reassemble in reverse order. One thing to note, is that the small spotlights' housing have two small tabs that fit into the black 'center' housing that has the buttons, light cover, etc. You'll need to fit the spotlights into the housing first and foremost before reassembling the console.

12. Good Luck!

Although this worked for me and all others who tried it and got back to me, I can't guarantee that it will work for you. So attempt this at your own risk. Please post to the thread to let others know whether this worked for you.

Overhead console 001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fix that Thallersen has works like a champ. The problem is the two items on top of the board marked with the number "501". I hit each end of the "501" components with a spot of solder and all is well.

I'm going to try and tackle this problem this week. If you have any way to either post or send those detailed photos of the repair, I'd really appreciate the guidance!

Email sent, Lockdown_70. For all of those who have had display problems, tried this fix and responded back to me, all have had success (so far).
I've been getting a bunch of requests for this lately, as if more people's consoles are crapping out (kind of like the display on the Mach head units).
Initially I tried to get the writeup with pictures in this thread, but I recall it being too large, and couldn't get it all in for some reason. I might try to get the whole thing in a new thread if I can.

An excellent diagnosis, but I'm not so good with the solder. When I got to the circuit board, one of the 501 resisters was loose on one end just as you described. However, my soldering didn't go so well - it still doesn't work. I have a friend who's good with electronics - maybe he can still fix the resister. Excellent call on the problem though!

Getting a good solder is critical in making the repair and ensuring that it will last. Since you've gone to the trouble of getting to the resistor, it's worth your while to have a proficient solderer hit it with a good solder. If you found that the '501' had a broken solder, I'll bet that getting a good solder at that point will fix your display.
If it's in the hands of a good solderer, I'd have the other side hit - and both sides of the other '501' touched up as well. That would take all of 5 minutes for an experienced solderer.

Here are the steps with pics!

Thanks so much for the step-by-step instructions. Just got thru working on my compass/temp and it seems to work fine. Really appreciate you taking the time to show it!

overhead console fix

This really works@ Thank you ! Trust me, if you have this problem, and you follow these instructions, this will help you repair the display issue! Thank again

Thanks for the instructions on the fix, it was actually pretty easy and not my compass works great. Thanks again!!

it really works, just follow the instructions and you can finish in 20 minutes

Thallarsen, I was looking at mine {a '95 Bronco Eddie Bauer} And it all looks the same, the only difference is mine has two 512 resistors. Could this be the problem?

I had to use the magnifying glass to see the number...

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Allcruisen

allcruisenauto@yahoo.com

Thanks, this repair worked perfectly. Been without this feature for over 7 months.

Nice fix :thumbsup:

Mine hasn't worked for three years but I only just noticed this thread today. I removed and opened mine up but my old eyes could not see anything wrong with the solders on those two items. (Actually I could barely even see them LOL)

I figured what the heck it won't hurt to solder them anyway. By golly it really does work!

Thanks for sharing a really easy fix for a common problem. :)

PS ~ BTW, it's 93 degrees and I'm pointing southwest :D

I have a 95 XLT and as far as I can tell we have two different circuit boards. I pulled it apart and found a big difference between the board you pictured an the one I have. However mine takes a few minutes to turn on after I start the car. Any ideas on how to fix it or maybe someone else with a similar problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Non-Sunroof Models

Thallarsen,
Thank you for this fix. I have a '99 XLT AWD 5.0 with this problem. I pulled the circut board and immediately noticed that I only had 1-510 resistor. Although it does look as if there may be evidence that the solder failed on both ends of the missing resistor, I can't really be sure. I looked to see if it dropped off when I pulled the board out and couldn't find it.

Since your explorer, which has 2-510 resistors, has a sunroof and a 2nd connecting harness, where my non-sunroof model only has 1 connector, I was wondering if all non-sunroof models only had 1-510 resistor, rather than the 2.

If you, or anyone else, can give me an answer, I'd really appreciate it. BYW, I'm having a tough time trying to find a replacement 510 resistor...any ideas?

Back