Overhead console temp display? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overhead console temp display?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I recently had a frightening experience with the temperature display in my overhead console. The damn thing displayed the word "ICE" alternating between the actual temperature.

ICE is a scary word. ICE belongs in a glass of tea and nowhere else.

When does the Explorer display ICE? Are there any other hidden messages there?

This was on a recent trip to North Georgia; not in the sunshhine state.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On mine ICE starts appearing around 38 degrees F and lower and alternating back and forth as you said. I think it's just there to warn you that there is a possibility of ice on the road.

have never seen that before. but fo sho it will be soon. that does sound kinda odd. but on my moms volvo there is a little orange snowflake that lights up around 36-38 somethin like that. so

Al, if you were in the North Georgia mountains this past weekend, the outside temperature dropped below freezing. When the outside temp is this low, the display will show "ICE," my guess as a warning for drivers to be aware of outside conditions.

Now if it said something like "DAED SI LUAP" then I would be worried.

Anyone here old enough to remember the rock group "Klaatu." or something like that? :)

Maybe it should say UNSUITABLE FOR HUMAN LIFE at any temperature below 70 F.....

hahaha, good 'ole Floridians! (sp?)

Originally posted by aldive
Maybe it should say UNSUITABLE FOR HUMAN LIFE at any temperature below 70 F.....

I'm working on getting mine to say that. Either that or WHAT THE H*** WERE YOU THINKING?? Heh heh.

peace

A misplaced Southern Californian

Yes, "ICE" will be displayed on your overhead console everytime the temperature drops below 38F. It is there to warn you that the possiblity of ice exhists on bridges and overpasses. Ice? I am still using the A/C. When I park facing the sun during the summer, I recorded an all-time high of 130F. Too bad it doesn't say "HOT" too :)

Im all too familiar with the flashing ice... ahh. youve gotta love chicago

Back