Overheat light on 2015 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overheat light on 2015 Explorer XLT

Pyroneous49

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I'm new to this forum stuff so please bear with me if I'm in the wrong spot again. When driving around on a hot day I stop and go into the store for 10 or 15 minutes. When I come back out and start the car there is an engine over temp light on the dash. If I turn the car off and start it again the light goes out. The a/c doesn't work when this warning light is on. I have also left the car running while the warning light is on and checked the engine fans which were both running fine. there is also plenty of coolant in the tank. If anybody has some experience with this and could help me out I would really appreciate it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aren't you under warranty being a 2015? Take it to the dealer.. could be a faulty temp sensor or could be your fans going bad regardless of whether they are spinning or not.

Aren't you under warranty being a 2015? Take it to the dealer.. could be a faulty temp sensor or could be your fans going bad regardless of whether they are spinning or not.
nope. unfortunately it only had a 2 year warranty and it has about 40,000 miles on it.

nope. unfortunately it only had a 2 year warranty and it has about 40,000 miles on it.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The standard factory warranty is 3 years, 36k miles which you unfortunately are over.
The issue you were experiencing falls under Fail Safe Cooling (page 342 of the Manual)
In part, this is what it says;
If the engine reaches a preset over-temperature condition, the engine
will automatically switch to alternating cylinder operation. Each disabled
cylinder acts as an air pump and cools the engine.
When this occurs the vehicle will still operate. However:
• The engine power will be limited.
• The air conditioning system will be disabled.
Continued operation will increase the engine temperature and the engine
will completely shut down, causing steering and braking effort to
increase.
Once the engine temperature cools, the engine can be restarted. Take
your vehicle to an authorized dealer as soon as possible to minimize
engine damage.

Peter

Powertrain warranty (engine and trans) is covered for 5yr/60,000 miles. This could still be covered depending on what is defective.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The standard factory warranty is 3 years, 36k miles which you unfortunately are over.
The issue you were experiencing falls under Fail Safe Cooling (page 342 of the Manual)
In part, this is what it says;
If the engine reaches a preset over-temperature condition, the engine
will automatically switch to alternating cylinder operation. Each disabled
cylinder acts as an air pump and cools the engine.
When this occurs the vehicle will still operate. However:
• The engine power will be limited.
• The air conditioning system will be disabled.
Continued operation will increase the engine temperature and the engine
will completely shut down, causing steering and braking effort to
increase.
Once the engine temperature cools, the engine can be restarted. Take
your vehicle to an authorized dealer as soon as possible to minimize
engine damage.

Peter
Thanks for the reply Peter. My problem is that I don't believe it's really overheating. It only goes on after parking the car for a while and simply turning the car off and immediately starting it wouldn't cool it down significantly to cause the light to go out. I'm assuming it is an electronic problem but its not leaving any codes on the computer. I'd like to avoid the dealership if possible cause they're pretty expensive but may have to go that rout.

Back