• Register Today It's free!

Overheating after AC recharge

charsawbis

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer 4.0
After reading on the forum that the low pressure sensor could have been the problem with my AC clutch cycling on and off I over rode the sensor by jumping the harness with a paper clip. The clutch engaged and i was able to recharge the system. GOT COLD AC TOO!!!

However, now the truck randomly overheats. I replaced the thermostat this morning and it was prefect after that. Any ideas how the AC charge could cause the temp to rise now?

Please let me know...desperate for help now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am going out on a limb and suggesting you didn't get all the air "burped" from the cooling system when you replaced the thermostat.

I always jack up the front of the truck as high as I can, this will get the radiator cap higher than the trapped air bubble in the heater core.
Keep the reservoir filled, and with the front end way up high, allow the engine to complete a few warm up and cool down cycles, this should evacuate the air and re supply the system with coolant automatically

The A/C condenser is before the radiator. When the A/C is running, the condenser gets prety warm, putting a load on the trucks cooling system.

Thanks for the advice!
It was the water and it needing a burp.
The AC aggravated the problem too i think.

If you overcharged the A/C, you could be putting a bigger strain on the engine

Back