overheating after replacing lower coolent tank hose | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

overheating after replacing lower coolent tank hose

02_AK_EB

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I had a leak in the lower bigger hose that comes from the bottom of the coolant tank to under the radiator. I put the new hose in and now it over heats. I didnt do anything different. Ran perfect with the old hose then just took it off, drained all the coolant, and installed the new hose. Didn't do a single thing different. Just replaced a hose. Help as I need to get around. I also don't get any heat from the vents and it fogs up quick.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you need to bleed the air out of the system.

my 94 was doing this. Is the coolant tank steaming?

I burned the Sh** out of my hand.

definitely need to bleed the air out of the system.. hopefully you havn't cracked a head from overheating/no coolant flow.

I got it all figured out and seems to work great. The only problem is no heat now. I didnt do anything but replace a hose and now no heat. Do I have to let it cycle the coolant for a bit?

Did you rule out the thermostat?

What is a thermostat? How do I check it? Why would it work 100% then go to zero when I added coolant and fixed a hose?

Check your heat gauge when youre driving it. See if its getting too close to HOT before the thermostat kicks in. The thermostat moves your coolant around at the correct times

I drove it to work this morning. was a cold drive lol. It got up to normal aperating temps then about 5 minutes the gauge went up a click then right back down and ran at normal operating temps. I'm thinking the coolant just has to get circulated, but with my little knoledge of cars i dunno. Thats why I got you guys.

When you refilled the radiator did you start the engine and turn the heat on? If not, you could be low on coolant because by not turning the heat on when you filled it, it did not allow coolant to flow threw the heater core. That will cause little to no heat.

Back