• Register Today It's free!

overheating fuel pump?

daddy_ja

Reaction score
City, State
glendale AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer EB
anyone ever heard of a fuel pump overheating? i was out on a trail ride this weekend (about107 degrees out, AZ)and my x began to lope and then died, when i would start it back up it would continue loping for a few seconds and die again. took about 20 min's before it would start back up and stay running. someone sugested the fuel pump was overheating. we checked the maf sensor and cleaned the TB, but it didnt help. did it to me 3 more times on the trail, but never did it on the 2 hour ride home? im confused? can anyone help? BTW it's a 91, and i had 3/4 tank.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nobody?

To me it sounds like you got some bad gas, or a slight clog that was passed through the system. Have you had any other issues with it since then? If your still having problems with it, you might want to consider changing the fuel filter and running some Seafoam through the gas. Let us know what is happening.

Your fuel pump is dieing. I have the same problem on my 94, it will run for a bit and just die out of no where. Mine lasted about a week longer then just completly. You may check your wiring also, could be a bad connection.

there are 2 fule pumps on a gen 1 correct? one in the tank and one on the frame?

daddy_ja said:
there are 2 fule pumps on a gen 1 correct? one in the tank and one on the frame?

You are thinking of filters not pumps. There is a filter in the driver's side frame rail and a mesh screen on the fuel pump pickup tube within the fuel tank. You can get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure on the fuel rail. It will indicate if you're having problems or not.

How many miles on the pump? What state of condition is the tune? Do all maintenance stuff first, then the pump if it's old. Good luck,

Back