• Register Today It's free!

Overheating/headgasket

Mitch72bak

Reaction score
City, State
Levering mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xlt
I have a 04 explorer with 4.0. Last summer we were driving and didn't notice it was overheating. We stopped had to add water then drove home. From then on we had trouble with it overheating. Every couple months. Had issues with getting hot air from heater. And there always being lots of pressure in the coolant system. I would remove the reservoir cap and there was always lots of air. No coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant. I figure it's a blown headgasket but how can I drive it daily?

Was it bubbling? Sometimes a blown headgasket can leak air into the coolant system and not oil and causes an overpressure in the coolant system. Either that or a bad valve seal that is pushing exhaust gas into the coolant.

If while its running its blowing air or exhaust gas out of the radiator, the heads are going to have to be pulled either way.

You have verified no leaks @ the thermostat housing or any coolant or heater hoses, or radiator? You can add u.v. chemical to radiator and use u.v. light to check.

Also, shop can check for exhaust gases in the coolant with a chemical/bladder device.

How many miles on this Explorer? The are not know for blow head gaskets, in my experience.

Was it bubbling? Sometimes a blown headgasket can leak air into the coolant system and not oil and causes an overpressure in the coolant system. Either that or a bad valve seal that is pushing exhaust gas into the coolant.

If while its running its blowing air or exhaust gas out of the radiator, the heads are going to have to be pulled either way.

When the coolant system was fixed with no leaks it's pretty obvious that exhaust is getting in the system. I put some good stop leak in it but did not work. I guess I'll drive it as long as I can.

Back